What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duckworks LED Landing lights owners

ljpgrif

Anyone have a over heating problems with these lights?

Wondering how long they last.....trying to decide if I want to order a new set. My lights burn time total was around 20 hrs.....has a yellowish tint and a 15 ft range now.

Thanks
Larry

Confirm LED ??

Confirm LED ???

They usually have thousands of hours of operation...

Duckworks usually had Halogen or HID bulbs.

I talked to Don Wentz on the 23rd of June. He was supposed to check info for the LED upgrade kit and get back to me the same night. He said he was going out of town for the weekend and would be back Monday. He never got back to me. I placed an order on the 24th and haven't heard anything since. I have tried calling and emailing multiple times but have gotten NO response, so I contacted paypal to start a claim.

I talked to Don Wentz on the 23rd of June. He was supposed to check info for the LED upgrade kit and get back to me the same night. He said he was going out of town for the weekend and would be back Monday. He never got back to me. I placed an order on the 24th and haven't heard anything since. I have tried calling and emailing multiple times but have gotten NO response, so I contacted paypal to start a claim.

Just FYI, Duckworx is a small operation and goes radio silent from time to time. Generally, this isn’t a problem because landing lights are not an immediate need for most folks.

!!!! BEWARE !!!!

Communicated by email with a Richard at Duckworks around July 10th on ordering a set of led landing lights. Richard emailed me saying that it will be shipped the 12th.
Have not received the lights as of July 31th and will not respond by email or phone......
Must be a scam......calling PayPal Monday on setting up a claim with Duckworks....

Nearly 3 weeks after the order with no response by 4 emails and 6 telephone calls.....no one....I Mean no one is that busy to not contact a customer.

Larry

led landing light order from cuckworks

I had the same problem so I contacted Paypal after numerous phone calls and e-mails went unanswered. 2 days later I got a call from him saying my order slipped through the cracks somehow and he would ship out that day. I told him not to ship as I had ordered from flyled. He did refund my money.

I am very happy with the flyled product. They are in Australia but I had my lights in less than a week.

NOT a scam

Must be a scam......calling PayPal Monday on setting up a claim with Duckworks....

Sorry to hear about this and I understand your frustration. But for someone to call "scam" based on a communication gap is unfair and potentially damaging. Lots of companies are encountering difficulties right now and Don Wentz is anything but a scammer.

Don was a contemporary of mine since 28 years ago when we were both building RV-6s out here in Vans' back yard and he developed his LL kit during that period. We were good friends and helped each other with building, flew to OSH together, participated in FF training and airshows, fly-camped in Canada and other places, organized and participated in fly-ins, co-ran the local builders' group, and many other things. Don developed the LL kit as a small side business and sold many many lights independently and through Vans. I have two Duckworks lights in my -6 starting with halogen and later upgraded to LEDs (two different iterations). My last upgrade was at least five years ago; I'm sure what's being sold now is different but in any case I've never had a problem with heat in about 800 hrs of running with LEDs. I run them a lot, mostly on wigwag.

As for the current communication problem, I can't say as I haven't been in touch with Don for quite a while. Regardless, I am inclined to defend his integrity as he's definitely a stand-up guy, I can only speculate that there's some difficulty on his end that's interrupting the business.

PS: From the posting rules: The forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with sellers, manufacturers and dealers through the long-established legal or arbitration systems or the Better Business Bureau, not through our community.

Last edited:
To the original OP

I have the LED upgrade from Duckworks and I do not have a problem with them overheating

Finally

Called Duckworks again and finally got Richard. I got that he has a day job and he said he might of dropped the ball. He looking into this order....
Hopefully replacements will solve my problems. The current leds lights from Duckworks has 165 hrs on them and the light only reachs 10 ft and disappears in the darkness.

Sorry to hear about this and I understand your frustration. But for someone to call "scam" based on a communication gap is unfair and potentially damaging. Lots of companies are encountering difficulties right now and Don Wentz is anything but a scammer.

Don was a contemporary of mine since 28 years ago when we were both building RV-6s out here in Vans' back yard and he developed his LL kit during that period. We were good friends and helped each other with building, flew to OSH together, participated in FF training and airshows, fly-camped in Canada and other places, organized and participated in fly-ins, co-ran the local builders' group, and many other things. Don developed the LL kit as a small side business and sold many many lights independently and through Vans. I have two Duckworks lights in my -6 starting with halogen and later upgraded to LEDs (two different iterations). My last upgrade was at least five years ago; I'm sure what's being sold now is different but in any case I've never had a problem with heat in about 800 hrs of running with LEDs. I run them a lot, mostly on wigwag.

As for the current communication problem, I can't say as I haven't been in touch with Don for quite a while. Regardless, I am inclined to defend his integrity as he's definitely a stand-up guy, I can only speculate that there's some difficulty on his end that's interrupting the business.

PS: From the posting rules: The forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with sellers, manufacturers and dealers through the long-established legal or arbitration systems or the Better Business Bureau, not through our community.

For a new customer, you have to take some interactions at face value. He paid for a product and was unable to contact the seller for almost a month with nothing being delivered. Is there a word you would rather use that conveys the same context? Don may be a great guy, but it sounds like he is currently having a hard time running his business.

The PS you added is one of things I dislike most about this forum. I fully understand not wanting this forum to allow everyone to post every gripe and slight into a public forum because that does ruin the community. If you've attempted multiple times to contact a seller that is well known on this board and can't get anywhere through other means, people on here should be made aware that. Instead, what we do get is every negative review deleted and only positive reviews left up. Every seller looks perfect and no one ever has anything bad to say about anyone. I know multiple people that have stopped coming here because they realize that's BS and they're tired of being censored for legitimate criticism of bad business owners. I view every sponsor on this site with a questioning eye because forum rules filter everything through rose colored glasses.

I totally agree with agent4573. This should be a forum that provides help and factual information to all, both good and bad.

Resolved....

Richard finally answered the emails/phone calls tonight. He said that he dropped the ball.......packing the led lights tonight and wife is shipping them tomorrow.
Hopefully by replacing them will solve my problem.

Larry

Just the facts.....

I order ALOT OF STUFF on Amazon and I always read the reviews on the product... the good and the bad ... so I can decide if I want to order it.
This helps me avoid future problems/disappointments that has occurred from someone else's experience.

In my experience, Everything is not always like Mary Poppins...practically perfect in every way!
I will restrain myself while on this forum ....🤐

Thanks everyone for your input on the lights.......I really appreciate it!

Larry Griffin
N687VR
"That's All Folks"

NOT a scam.2

I have known Don Wentz for about 25 years, not as long as Randal. Don was TC for each of the planes I built. He was also a coworker when I was last employed. Randal mentioned that Don developed the LL kit as a small side business. My memory is after he made LL's for*his plane, LOTS of folks asked him to make LL kits for their planes, which*he did. One kit at a time. I think two or three hours per kit. Then Van's asked Don if he would like them to put the LL kit in the Van's accessory catalog. The resulting order for 40 kits was overwhelming to Don who had a very full time job at a local chip manufacturer. Don, Janet and Van's figured out how to meet demand.

Duckworks ownership transferred to Richard 5+ years ago. Richard also has a (very) full time job making landing gear for Van's and others.

I'd be VERY SURPRISED if pylottt (Ron W, post #8 in this thread) talked with Don about LL stuff recently. Probably talked to Richard.

Richard is also the real deal and not a scammer. Richard's communication IS is disappointingly slow at times.

Regards,

Back