What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help on skin countersink on 16-2 wing manual

fdeppieri

Hi all,

I have a small (stupid) doubt regarding the wing section 16-2, step 3.

This step reports a sentece like "... Machine countersink all the rivet holes of the top inbd wing skin that correspond to the W-1027A and
W-1027B Wing Walk Doublers for the head of an AN426AD3 rivet..
."
Considering the thickness of the skin I do not like so much to use the countersink instead a simpler dimpling.
Should not be better to dimple the skin considering eventually to countersink the wing walk doublers ?
The intention of mine is to follow the manual, but my brain would like to understand a little bit better...

Thanks a lot
Francesco

The skins and doublers, when taken together, are more than thick enough to countersink. If you dimple the skin, doubler and underlying ribs, you wind up with a lot of dimpled layers. it seems like someone once posted that the older designs did call for all these components to be dimpled, I'm not sure what the impetus for the change was.

I think I dimpled the skin and machine countersunk the wing walk doubler (on my -6A). To my mind, it is better to have the stronger dimple on the outer skin to avoid knife edge machine countersunk on .025 outer skin (assume that is the thickness in the OPs kit.) It is a little extra work to prepare the doubler as well as the skin, but not much effort in the grand scheme of things. I did apply primer on everything internally for corrosion protection.

Last edited:
Back