What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G5 and G3X Touch with GPS 155XL/GNC 300XL Navigators

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hello,

Customers will occasionally ask us if a GPS 155XL or GNC 300XL IFR navigator can be used with a G3X Touch or G5 system.

Having never tested these navigators with these systems, we were always in the uncomfortable position of telling customers we think they will work, but haven't done the testing to know for sure.

We dusted off an old GNC 300XL, did some bench testing, made a small change in GDU 4XX V6.20 software to deal with an incompatibility in the old A429 format, and are pleased to report that these navigators are now compatible with G5 and G3X Touch systems.

We even installed the GNC 300XL in a G3X Touch aircraft and used it to fly coupled flight plans and approaches including approaches flown with the GDU 4XX displays shut off and the autopilot function being provided solely by the G5 backup.

The upcoming releases of the G5 and G3X installation manuals will include wiring and configuration information for those wishing to use these navigators.

usLkK-mvdeB8orj4b_otw1C-MBaykos9qGh-1AX-iI1KblO5TbYFcRX7lSgE-wi8FWTcVBIj_6Ab3AfPjsGcGV1zJq8zrzA8fjchmT3Bii4brgEkxTpANlPsgtjokLeTw2ioxEXe0l6uVitgBHhO0iofi0UgUIrnsUJpNToN7NbQPdbjaBFyN7AuztMxxXDHXv8K7vwJk_SQMxB1qEA4EXg5pKemsPtR4TKxCqNJUqBgMh6G4dSmz09xBuWsgF6ZRQghqzHs1azut9pDCD_wECJHN76jyELzh1UONr3F6EqQrreGoX-vr5UUexSYJRHCeMMVfd-Kgh_m8mcdk_yh4J6hFy3o3BbxFQ2h6XVky9Z_HNEF3uQhiLPpgc3N0VC-LJkPjSCfzHCqClwZ_vXokjhKQHt5NsxZzU_Zp8yzApzLTsHBI-21gcjhhTz_aTA1St2psiIBq2Xj6TciGIhSPIHWuOPErghwcX7ipnCNVlFGSWgdYvFBAG406qjrcavqOiGRke0GFYe-7Z2qQuG0t_DXcj8quo3wA5FS90UHd9na9rB1vYL6IOZTRGCGEP8kXSN29rf6MRrSyToNMaRXSJ2sdKr-j0H6Rh7jCPLRUyavww10bUKN6KyGdAhb3hI=w650

Thanks,
Steve

Nice !

This is the reason why someone should choose a leader like Garmin. Continuous development, great products, great customer support, great integration, compatibility with newer hardware and older hardware...

Nice job Garmin. Keep up the great work.

P.S. You can PM me for my address to send me my marketing check ;):D. HA HA

Any way to show waypoint name being navigated to

Maybe in the upper left corner of the G5? It would be great on an approach to have the waypoints show up automatically as you make your way through the approach. On the HSI is where I'm talking about.

Last edited:
When will this revision be published? And will this be available for certified aircraft as well?

When will this revision be published? And will this be available for certified aircraft as well?

Hello Papxj,

The currently available versions of G5 and G3X Touch software and installation manuals provide support for these navigators.

This capability is also on the list for features which are desired for future G5 STC updates, but we don't have a date when this will be available.

Thanks,
Steve

Annunciator Replacement

Does this allow a G5 to act as the annunciator for a 300xl? Meaning will the G5 have full functionality as an indicator with the ability to implement the OBS function?

Thanks in advance

Steve,
Thank you very much for the excellent instructions! I finally got around to installing both G5s and have run into a problem where my GAD 29 is either not accepting the ARINC signal, G5 not recognizing it, or the GNC300XL not sending it. Do you have any tips for troubleshooting the ARINC signal? I've double checked the pins and continuity. My next step is to de-pin the existing indicator from the connections, but I wanted to see a working product before doing that.

Here's what I'm seeing:

DJb58dQ.jpg

WgpaZnP.jpeg

Thanks in advance,
Mikey

The problem shown in this photo has nothing to do with the ARINC 429 signals, and everything to do with the communication between the G5 and the GAD 29, which is not happening at all. I'd start with the CAN troubleshooting guide in section 2.2 of the current G5 installation manual (revision 9).

Steve,
Thank you very much for the excellent instructions! I finally got around to installing both G5s and have run into a problem where my GAD 29 is either not accepting the ARINC signal, G5 not recognizing it, or the GNC300XL not sending it. Do you have any tips for troubleshooting the ARINC signal? I've double checked the pins and continuity.
Thanks in advance,
Mikey
Mikey,

The G5 unit(s) do not appear to be communicating with the GAD 29.

I would:
1. Make sure both G5 units are using the latest software.
2. Make sure that the G5 PFD ARINC 429 configuration page follows the guidance on page 7-16 of the Rev. 9 G5 Installation Manual.
G5 ARINC Config.png
3. Make sure that the CAN bus connection between the G5 unit(s) and the GAD 29 is correct.
4. Make sure that the GAD 29 has power.

Steve

Matt,
Thanks for those tips, but I've run through most of those troubleshooting tips. One thing I neglected to mention is the status LED on the GAD 29 rapidly flashes green showing it's communicating with the CAN network. The other 4 LRUs are showing green check marks on the G5 status page as well telling me that they're communicating healthily on the network. I'll rerun the multimeter checks and track down the pin outs to triple check the connections tomorrow, I just wanted to post here and get advice in the mean time.

Thanks again for your tips!
Mikey

Last edited:
Back