What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X touch PFD vs MFD

gotyoke

Well Known Member
Am I correct that the only thing truly separating a PFD from an MFD is that the PFD absolutely must show the primary instruments at all times? Is there any functionality an MFD provides that cannot also be done on the PFD (UI size and clutter issues aside)?

Asking for reasons concerning panel layout.

Others with more experience will hopefully speak up about how to configure them, but the units GDU460/470 are only designated PFD or MFD after installation. So a GDU 460/470 can be either or.

With the G3X touch Yes that is correct. They do the same thing, but you cannot remove primary flight info on the PFD as you can with the MFD. If your PDF fails, the MFD will switch and default to a PFD.

PFD/MFD

As mentioned above, if a display is assigned as a PFD, the flight instruments will always be shown on at least half of the display. Assigning a display as an MFD allows you to view the navigation and other supplementary data on a full screen basis, with the option to view the flight instruments as desired.

Thanks,

Justin

Planning one G5 and one GSU470. Can I designate the 470 as MFD so I can better use it for nav stuff, or does there have to be at least one PFD?

Planning one G5 and one GSU470. Can I designate the 470 as MFD so I can better use it for nav stuff, or does there have to be at least one PFD?

Yes, if you don't install a GSU 25 ADAHRS, you can have from 1 to 6 GDU 4XX MFD displays installed (and no PFD). See page 2-4 of the Rev. AP G3X Touch installation manual.

Here is an example of a system with 2 G5 units and a GDU 470 MFD with engine information. A single G5 is also fine. Note that the GDU 470 is also connected to the CAN bus, but not shown in this image.

AM-JKLV3l1WU__jcs2D6YlR5ao_YYN6Yg8qmXpjJJxlY9Uhqk17vDggjPtLmNrCWvxyJ6Mg6BiMiPrfzz1tVBDKca-U8GDnD5HtjwX80ewL6-vdIb8YxumwGmUzD07gRhn3tKZagi551QsFLNx4f_wnQjW14=w640

Steve

Last edited:
Are you using the aircraft VFR or potentially IFR? Makes a difference on my advice.

ps Let me know when you need a Certificate of Airworthiness, gives me an excuse to visit Joseph and fish the local rivers!

Others with more experience will hopefully speak up about how to configure them, but the units GDU460/470 are only designated PFD or MFD after installation. So a GDU 460/470 can be either or.

Single MFD with G5

The G5 seamlessly integrates with other G5 units in the same aircraft and with G3X systems via the CAN network. When installed as part of a G3X system, the G5 provides a redundant source of attitude and air data to the G3X displays,
and additionally provides backup autopilot control allowing coupled GPS approaches to be flown or continued in the event that the primary flight display is unavailable. When installed as a standalone system, the G5 can also perform the autopilot function. In the case of aircraft power loss, the optional battery backup sustains the G5 flight display with up to 4 hours of emergency power.

If a GDU (MFD) is connected to the CAN-bus, the G5 will by default be a backup to the G3X-system. You need to spek with the G3XExperts about this.

Back