What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Identify this part...

Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
Now that I have been reminded how to post pictures, I need help identifying the parts shown in the attached pics. These were found in a buddy's RV-6 O-320 airplane when the cowl was removed. The plastic part seems to be a little wheel that spins on a captive #8 nut. It was found laying on the ledge at the bottom of the firewall. The little stud was found on top of the FAB. It seems to fit in the nut, although the threads are shot. No parts seem to be missing. The airplane was built by my friend 20 years ago. We are both builders and can't recall seeing these items anywhere. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Steve.airplane.part.jpg
    Steve.airplane.part.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 351
  • Steve.airplane. part2.jpg
    Steve.airplane. part2.jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 242
Mike, it is much smaller than the sliding canopy roller or an edge forming tool. It would almost have to come from somewhere in front of the firewall.

It looks like a leveling foot from a desk or chair. I would look at any kind of door, flap or lever that this could have been used as an adjustable stop. For example, something to make sure the carb heat arm doesn't go over center.

Some sort of control stop?
Have your buddy operate all the controls (prop, throttle, carb heat, cowl flap, etc.) for anything that could over rotate.
Otherwise, have never seen anything like it under the cowl…

The 2nd pic shows evidence it got hot in the center, which could have been caused by high resistance from the assembly loosening before it fell apart, so I'd vote for B-lead output on the (previous?) alternator too.

Just spitballing here, could it be the stud and insulator from the back of the alternator? B-Lead maybe?

B leads studs are typically 1/4" or 5/16" not #8. They also never use black oxide coating. Finally, I would like to think that the OP would have noticed that he had no charging going on.

Larry

Alternator

I think you guys calling out the alternator might have nailed it. My buddy just replaced his alternator (Honda) recently. These parts may have fallen off his old unit, causing the failure. I will pass this along. Thanks for the help.

Back