What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Arizona Aircraft registration from CA

RicoB

Well Known Member
Patron
Hello, Does anyone have experience on registering and aircraft in AZ?

Here is my situation.

I bought a property at an airpark in AZ but also living in CA, I will have both places.
Where would it be better to register my airplane? CA or AZ?
What are the benefits of one or another?
Is the insurance cheaper in AZ ?
Sorry for so many questions, just trying to figure out the best way to go about.

California might have ugly rules on how long the airplane can be resident in California before it becomes taxable. Double check that!

I moved full-time to AZ from CA 20 years ago. Brought my RV6 into AZ at that time.

I think the biggest benefit to registering your aircraft in AZ will be the fees. Experimental and vintage aircraft are only charged an annual fee of $25. No other fees or property taxes. Info on the azdot.gov website. Registration can be done easily online.

Of course, the address on the AZ registration must match what is on file with the FAA registration.

A bigger problem may be convincing the CA tax assessors that your aircraft is really in AZ.

Insurance won't change CA to AZ.

Last edited:
Dave I won’t be too far from you. AZ82
So sounds like AZ is much better place to register due to the cost by being a experimental.
If the hangar I am in is not rented under my tail number and I get fuel with a wrong tail number do you guys think that the feds are watching every flight?

If the hangar I am in is not rented under my tail number and I get fuel with a wrong tail number do you guys think that the feds are watching every flight?

ADSB-------Surveillance is even part of the name.

Also, they do watch the internet------beware of what you post.

The county periodically checks hangars and tie downs at the SoCal airports I'm familiar with. If your plane is parked in transient, and isn't normally in California, you're fine. Not sure how you'll explain the permanent assigned tie down or hanger (even if that hanger isn't yours).

Maybe you need to register the plane in Mexico? But you'd better own a house there so you have a proper registration address.

We have rented a hanagr at Big Bear Lake in CA for over ten years now, and use it for our fleet of airplanes when we are staying there. Every airplane has spent time there, and the airport (which is the county) knows that while we keep airplanes there occasionally, we are based - and pay airplane property taxes - in Nevada. We’ve never had a conflict, even if we have left a plane in that hangar for a couple of months to make room in our home hangar for some project or another.

We’re just superstitious enough not to keep an airplane there on January 1st however…. ;)

How do you like AZ82? I was thinking of driving over there from Vegas to check it out. I’m looking for a place to summer ideally 6000+ft when its 115F in Vegas.

We have rented a hanagr at Big Bear Lake in CA for over ten years now, and use it for our fleet of airplanes when we are staying there. Every airplane has spent time there, and the airport (which is the county) knows that while we keep airplanes there occasionally, we are based - and pay airplane property taxes - in Nevada. We’ve never had a conflict, even if we have left a plane in that hangar for a couple of months to make room in our home hangar for some project or another.

We’re just superstitious enough not to keep an airplane there on January 1st however…. ;)

That makes sense to me.

How do you like AZ82? I was thinking of driving over there from Vegas to check it out. I’m looking for a place to summer ideally 6000+ft when its 115F in Vegas.

Hey santosDumont i haven't been there much, I got the keys couple weeks ago. but summertime the hottest it gets is about 85 and they get summer rain very often, which is great. I am sure there are other AZ82 Rver's on this forum that could give out way better info.

I think you're allowed 60 days in California.

If it's more than 60 days and if you use the AZ address, you should be able to prorate any tax in California. I know businesses can do this.

Registration

Aircraft are registered with the FAA, not state. If it is based in California (say you have it in a hangar) the airport will report Aircraft based there as of the 1st of the year to the County and they will tax it annually (this is separate from sales tax at purchase). If you have a place in AZ, base it there and when CA sends the next tax bill, tell and establish to them it’s based in AZ AND THAT WOULD NEGATE the tax. IM me if you want more info.

Aircraft are registered with the FAA, not state.

Actually, many states require aircraft registration also. I know Illinois does and expect most states do. That helps them with tax collection, as well as getting funds from the FAA to support their airports. I believe FAA funds are apportioned based upon number or aircraft in the state.

Larry

Last edited:
Make sure you save all tie down/hanger rental receipts, fuel receipts, maintenance work, etc for the airport you will be keeping the plane at in Arizona. Eventually, if your plane is in California for any length of time and your still living in Ca. they will send you a tax bill. You will need to provide that documentation to challenge the tax bill. Having these records will protect your pocket book.

Make sure you save all tie down/hanger rental receipts, fuel receipts, maintenance work, etc for the airport you will be keeping the plane at in Arizona. Eventually, if your plane is in California for any length of time and your still living in Ca. they will send you a tax bill. You will need to provide that documentation to challenge the tax bill. Having these records will protect your pocket book.

Well, I got a property at an airpark in AZ, but I still will spend sometime in LA due to work, bottom line I will be living in both places but my permanent address will be AZ.

Yup

Virginia also requires aircraft registration. The sticker is only $5, but to get one you have to prove you've paid sales/use tax as required, and you also have to provide evidence of sufficient liability insurance. This registration regime also identifies you for city or county personal property tax wherever you're based.

Airport managers at public use airports in Virginia also generate periodic reports of aircraft on the field. This practice presumably lets the state identify people who try to dodge Virginia property/sales/use taxes by (a) registering their aircraft elsewhere, then (b) basing or operating them predominantly in Virginia.

I wouldn't be surprised if many states follow some version of these same practices. There's a lot of tax money in aircraft, and the states & localities want those dollars.

Actually, many states require aircraft registration also. I know Illinois does and expect most states do. That helps them with tax collection, as well as getting funds from the FAA to support their airports. I believe FAA funds are apportioned based upon number or aircraft in the state.

Larry

As with all things it depends on where your primary residence is for all tax purposes - not just the airplane. If your intent is to leave the airplane in AZ and register it in AZ both with the state and the feds as well as your pilot's certificate, then I would think you would have no problems. Keep in mind making AZ your tax residence could have tax consequences should you sell your home in CA.

In my mind it has to pass the common sense and worth my time tests.

As always consult a pro tax person/CPA.

Welcome to AZ82.

As with all things it depends on where your primary residence is for all tax purposes - not just the airplane. If your intent is to leave the airplane in AZ and register it in AZ both with the state and the feds as well as your pilot's certificate, then I would think you would have no problems. Keep in mind making AZ your tax residence could have tax consequences should you sell your home in CA.

In my mind it has to pass the common sense and worth my time tests.

As always consult a pro tax person/CPA.

Welcome to AZ82.

CA home is sold, I will have everything registered in AZ. My DL, tax, vehicles , airplane etc, but I still will have a place I will be renting in CA for work, now days I do spend more time here in CA due to work

CA home is sold, I will have everything registered in AZ. My DL, tax, vehicles , airplane etc, but I still will have a place I will be renting in CA for work, now days I do spend more time here in CA due to work

No brainer then - just make sure you send notice to your assessor's office of the move. In the process of selling a boat in OC and I know I need to get my notice of the sale in before they start the process in January again. Easier to let them know in advance.

Make sure you change your registration and license with FAA - note we don't get US Mail delivered here so you need to get P.O. Box at the local PO. Not sure what they do in California to harvest airplane data - for boats they go around the marinas - locked hangers help.

No brainer then - just make sure you send notice to your assessor's office of the move. In the process of selling a boat in OC and I know I need to get my notice of the sale in before they start the process in January again. Easier to let them know in advance.

Make sure you change your registration and license with FAA - note we don't get US Mail delivered here so you need to get P.O. Box at the local PO. Not sure what they do in California to harvest airplane data - for boats they go around the marinas - locked hangers help.

In California, each county scans FAA records for aircraft with registered addresses in their county...... Example.... I changed my N number and received two tax bills for two N numbers and one aircraft.

I already got the lo box I. Place. I will see about the county accessor

Back