What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plug in place of Zerk fitting?

Joe

Well Known Member
On a newer Hartzell prop hub I noticed a plug in place of two of the four zerk fittings that are on my 2013-vintage hub. The hex head calls for the same 5/16" wrench as the zerks. I think it's a smart idea as it becomes obvious which two zerks to remove and which two to grease.

It looks like a hex bolt but the thread isn't SAE. What is that item; where can I obtain a couple?

Attachments

• Prop Hub Plug.jpg
    Prop Hub Plug.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 159
On a newer Hartzell prop hub I noticed a plug in place of two of the four zerk fittings that are on my 2013-vintage hub. The hex head calls for the same 5/16" wrench as the zerks. I think it's a smart idea as it becomes obvious which two zerks to remove and which two to grease.

It looks like a hex bolt but the thread isn't SAE. What is that item; where can I obtain a couple?

https://ottosenprop.com/collections/parts/PARTS

Only 80 cents each plus $26 to $146 shipping to Oregon. Get real! Obviously not going to happen.

Was hoping for an Ace Hardware or TrueValue Hardware kind of answer.

Yea, minimum shipping costs......so unfair. ;)

OK, so....... 1/8 npt hex head pipe plug, steel ........google.....go.

It is a small size NPT fitting. Too small for most home use. Not common in very many aircraft or auto uses.

Like Mike S said, best bet may be a trip to a prop shop. Buy the guy lunch or a beer, he may just give you two.

Prop grease zerks.

It’s pretty easy to remember “Always grease from leading edge to trailing edge” of the prop.

Fuel fitting

Looks like it is commonly used in automotive fuel injection.
Google: plug npt 1/8

Only 80 cents each plus $26 to $146 shipping to Oregon. Get real! Obviously not going to happen.

Was hoping for an Ace Hardware or TrueValue Hardware kind of answer.

Look at the bright side: At least you don't have to pay sales tax! (Sorry, I'm from California) :D

-Marc

Most people just bought 10 or more and posted here for their friends to share. If it is a NPT, then its a very long taper and 1/16 at largest.

Go to the source guys, why just jam anything that maybe fits. Details do matter on a prop hub.

FYI - - Hartzell Service Letter.
View attachment HC-SL-61-354.pdf

Hartzell part nr. 106545

Finally ... an answer I can use. Thank you, Bill. I did not know of the service letter and the Hartzell owner's manual that came with my prop didn't show it.

It certainly isn't 1/8" NPT, maybe not even be NPT (possibly straight threads). In any case, Hartzell calls it a "Plug, Lubrication Hole, part #10645" -- exactly what I was asking about in my original posting.

Joe it looks like you have PMs turned off.

I happen to live near a really great place to buy aircraft parts (direct from Textron) where they're selling the Hartzell 106545 plugs for less than $10 for a ten-pack. I don't have a c/s prop, but if you're interested I'll look into just picking some up and popping them in the mail to you.

Joe it looks like you have PMs turned off.
Yes, I prefer email. Not sure if this site offers that option any longer.

I happen to live near a really great place to buy aircraft parts (direct from Textron) where they're selling the Hartzell 106545 plugs for less than $10 for a ten-pack. I don't have a c/s prop, but if you're interested I'll look into just picking some up and popping them in the mail to you.
That's very kind of you, Kurt, but it's not worth troubling you. I'll keep my eyes open for something from Ace Hardware or continue to live with the zerk fittings.

Incidentally, I had asked Hartzell Propeller technical support but was quoted a $20 minimum order.

Back