What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

6A Hartzell BA new prop size 74 or 72?

Redbud40

Well Known Member
Looking for input on choice for Hartzell BA new prop. Read most of previous posts, but allot reference 7,s. Looking what folks decided on for their 6A..72 or 74. Thanks in advance.

72 for me

I am sure others will weigh in, but Vans reported no performance difference, and I figured the shorter prop would incur less sand/stone damage. So, 72.

If I'm reading your question correctly, I believe you're approaching this the wrong way. If the airframe lists a max diameter, it is only a limit and has nothing to do with any performance optimization. The HP and torque associated with the powerplant will determine the associated prop characteristics. Get that data and any airframe limitations to the prop OEM and let their engineers display their art.

Last edited:
I just asked Vans this question last week.

They said the 72" prop is recommended for my 6A and that the extra 2" does not give any real performance increase.

That's what I'll be ordering when the time comes.

The 6A has a small fraction of an inch more ground clearance than the 7A, actually. They both have the same mount & nose gear leg, but the 6A with it's shorter main gear legs has a slight more nose up attitude on the ground gives it that added (but meaningless) advantage.

I'd suggest the more tip to ground clearance, the better, therefore go with 72".
I hate filing chips...

Back