What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Builder - Number of Clekos?

Antonitis

Hi,

I found an old thread on this topic, but it wasn't model specific.

How many 3/32" (silver) and 1/8" (copper) clekos do you recommend for a -12is build?

I'm guessing Vans estimate accounts for building one wing at a time. Did you build both your wings at the same time?

Thanks,
Jason

I'm one of those repeat builders.
I have 400 clekos in the hangar, 200 of those are still in their original plastic bags...

Clecos for Sale

Hi Ralph,

I'll buy 50 or 100 of your clecos if you want to sell any.

PM sent.

Thanks,

I found that I needed a lot of the silver clecos for the wings, especially if you build them at the same time. I have more than 200. You will throw some out eventually due to bending them or if they get proseal on them and you don’t clean them right away.

Clecos

I doubt I ever had more than 50 in use at any time. The 1/8” clecos are the most used.

I used ~ 150 silver clecos when constructing the canopy roll bar, fortunately I was able to supplement my 50 or so silver clecos by borrowing from a local bud.

Bob,

It’s been almost 10 years since I finished mine, but I don’t recall encountering that many 3/32” rivets at any stage.

Rich

Check with the folks at Cleveland Tool. However many they sent with their RV12 tool kit was about right. Only a couple of times I wished I had a few more but made do.

Hi,

I found an old thread on this topic, but it wasn't model specific.

How many 3/32" (silver) and 1/8" (copper) clekos do you recommend for a -12is build?

I'm guessing Vans estimate accounts for building one wing at a time. Did you build both your wings at the same time?

Thanks,
Jason
You'll need a lot of the copper ones. I bought the listed kit from Cleveland tools when I started, they are a good source of how much/many you'll need for any one thing. At one point doing the wings I used every one of those.

You will need a couple dozen more than what you got, no matter how many you got.

This means, when you run out of clecos you should start driving/pulling rivets.

Back