What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage Floor Structural?

ExtraKatana

Well Known Member
Is the baggage floor structural on the 8? I am needing to do test flights with new brake system and you know.....the brake cylinder needs to be accessible and what a bear to keep replacing that baggage floor. I woudn't imagine it would be since the bolt placement actually puts sheer on the bolts, but I'm no engineer.

The answer is yes. I would not fly with the baggage floor out. The reason is that the baggage access door removes the torsional stiffness of the forward fuselage. The baggage floor provides the bay close-out to stiffen the forward fuselage.

Baggage floor

While it’s out why not put in an access panel ?

Attachments

• 09030231-E47D-4B2F-AB21-1A40B348B8CF.jpg
    09030231-E47D-4B2F-AB21-1A40B348B8CF.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 362
Is the baggage floor structural on the 8? I am needing to do test flights with new brake system and you know.....the brake cylinder needs to be accessible and what a bear to keep replacing that baggage floor. I woudn't imagine it would be since the bolt placement actually puts sheer on the bolts, but I'm no engineer.
When I first installed mine it was hard to get in and out. I subsequently carefully trimmed it to the right size, and made sure that the holes lined up properly. Now, it takes about 5 mins to remove, and probably 10 to install. Working on my condition inspection now so just had it in and out yesterday. The thing that makes it easy is using "torx" screws - they don't slip off like philips.

When I first installed mine it was hard to get in and out. I subsequently carefully trimmed it to the right size, and made sure that the holes lined up properly. Now, it takes about 5 mins to remove, and probably 10 to install. Working on my condition inspection now so just had it in and out yesterday. The thing that makes it easy is using "torx" screws - they don't slip off like philips.
That sounds good. Why not just bolts? I haven't trial fit them yet but an end wrench would be much preferable to an angled screwdriver under that forward gussett. Yes, Torx would be better than Phillips.

Last edited:
That sounds good. Why not just bolts? I haven't trial fit them yet but an end wrench would be much preferable to an angled screwdriver under that forward gussett. Yes, Torx would be better than Phillips.
I guess bolts would work, but the torx screws work well, their heads are smooth so they don't catch on anything in the baggage area, and I had plenty in stock. I use those clear plastic washers to avoid damaging the paint.

While it’s out why not put in an access panel ?
I did exactly the same thing. I went up one thickness of ALCLAD. I have the Grove remote reservoirs on the master cylinders, so hopefully this should make things a bit easier.
I also changed all the 8-32 anchor nuts to K1000-3 10-32 anchor nuts, so I can fit AN3-3A bolts to the forward baggage compartment floors. A 1/4" drive air ratchet makes removal easy. I spent too many years in the middle of know where (Papua New Guinea) fixing helicopters! I need life to be easy!

Attachments

• IMG_3657.jpg
    IMG_3657.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    330.1 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
I probably should do that since I have the floor out at this time but the part of me that likes the path of least resistance says I should only have to remove it for Annual. I just bought some Torx screws so hopefully this will make removal easier

SS SHCS's

Stainless Socket head cap screws work great to replace the phillips screws and no more stripped heads. they come out really easy with my cordless driver and only a couple along the back corner require a socket wrench, no need for access panel as its only a few minute job to remove or replace!

They are #8-32 I believe. So hex head bolts are not readily available. I use Torx.

Back