What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Release

SantosDumont

Well Known Member
Are there any procedures anywhere that describe what you need to do if you ever have to pull the canopy release during flight to bail out? What speed, attitude, etc?

I am pretty confident it has never been tried before, and would only be used in a circumstance where both the airplane was unflyable and you were fortunate enough to be wearing a parachute. After that, make your best guess. In my opinion, survival would likely be a roll of the dice. :eek:

Open RV canopy

Having been aboard an RV-14 when the owner accidentally opened the canopy in flight, the plane pitched downward about -2 g’s . Unaware of results if the whole canopy separated instead of just opening about 18” at the rear

Having been aboard an RV-14 when the owner accidentally opened the canopy in flight, the plane pitched downward about -2 g’s . Unaware of results if the whole canopy separated instead of just opening about 18” at the rear

Interesting data point! I guess I’m surprised the canopy could open that much. Was the canopy damaged?

I am pretty confident it has never been tried before, and would only be used in a circumstance where both the airplane was unflyable and you were fortunate enough to be wearing a parachute. After that, make your best guess. In my opinion, survival would likely be a roll of the dice. :eek:

On the -14A I built I didn't do aerobatic testing in Phase I and placed a prohibition for aerobatics in the POH. I left the canopy release in place, with the intention that it be used only for ground egress (knowing I'd never wear a parachute). I placarded the canopy release "..do not touch in flight...".

Panel%2BTest%2BN14VB.jpg

Vern, not interested on who did this but curious as to how this was accidentally done. Was the latch not fully locked on takeoff or did the pilot really move the handle all that way.
Wanting to know so it never happens to me, I know anything is possible and it can happen to me.

RV-14 open canopy

The canopy open warning light micro switch needed adjustment and the light illuminated during climbout. The owner asked me to fly and said he meant to make sure it was latched when in fact he unlatched the canopy. Was too quick to stop him.

Back