What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV9 conversion to 9A

Andrei100

I'm New Here
Hello there. I am looking to convert my 9 to 9A. Does anyone have gear legs, gear mounts, engine mount for 9A for sale? Or if you think of converting the other way around, we could exchange.

Andrei.

Hello there. I am looking to convert my 9 to 9A. Does anyone have gear legs, gear mounts, engine mount for 9A for sale? Or if you think of converting the other way around, we could exchange.

Andrei.

Let a little time pass. Fly it. You might be in possession of a good bird.

I made the conversion

I made the conversion and it was relatively easy. I left the tail wheel receiver in the back. That would take some time to get out but looks doable if you want to. It does add a pound or so at the worst part of a 9A but I still came in at 1100 lbs weight and havent found a situation that keeps me out of CG range.

I was able to sell my gear and mount to cover much of the costs. When you make the change, get the new motor mount with the new nose wheel modification.

insurance for a 9A will be less than a 9 and you will have a nose wheel in common with the F-16, F-18, F-22, F-35, etc.

insurance for a 9A will be less than a 9 and you will have a nose wheel in common with the F-16, F-18, F-22, F-35, etc.

But if you notice, the F-16, F-18, F-22, F-35, etc. are so ashamed of that nose wheel that they "hide" it shortly after take-off.

But if you notice, the F-16, F-18, F-22, F-35, etc. are so ashamed of that nose wheel that they "hide" it shortly after take-off.

grin... but they would be more ashamed if they did not extend it for landing.

I agree with SCARD above. Fly the 9 for awhile before committing to the conversion. I have a 9. My first tailwheel aircraft and am not only happy with it but am glad I settled on a TW airplane. I have owned numerous aircraft. High performance, twins, turbines and jets. And I find my 9 to be about as much fun as you can have.
Insurance may be a little higher but based on your prior experience not so much to deter. I only had 51 hours TW when I got my 9 and was pleased with the insurance quotes I received.

Let a little time pass. Fly it. You might be in possession of a good bird.

Agree fully. I converted my 9a to a 9 and very happy with it. Many advantages to the tail wheel.

Attachments

• E0DF2B55-9EF0-4341-99C5-5AEBD174F6EC.jpg
    E0DF2B55-9EF0-4341-99C5-5AEBD174F6EC.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 186
I would keep it as a RV 9 if I had a good instructor in my area. When I bought it few months ago, I didn't know finding a tail wheel RV9 instructor would be such a big deal. Everyone here in south FL has been training with Jan but he was sick and in and out of the hospital. Also he sold his 2 airplanes RV6 and 6A. Also my girlfriend is taking lessons now in my C172 so It would be a lot easier for her too to transition from C172 to RV9A rather then TW. So If I convert it, Does anyone know exactly what I need? 2 main gear legs with mounts, engine mount with nose gear leg, How about the cowling would the same one fit with the exception of modifying the bottom? How about paperwork? Besides W&B, would I have to do the phase inspection again and get it recertified?

Back