What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 430 or 430W

mke039

I just bought what was supposed to be a 430W from a member in the classified section.

The problem is that when it finally arrived it is a 430.

The other problem is that this guy refuses to believe me. He insists it came out of a Cirrus and was used as the position source for ADSB.

The part number is identical to my existing 430
On startup it says 430, not 430W
The satellite bars are blue not green
and the Aux page does not have SBAS selection

Is there any other way to determine the issue?

Last edited:
The only way a 430 becomes a W is a trip back to garmin, so I would call them with the serial # and have them lookup the records. I don't know if they change the model # during the upgrade or something else. Mine was upgraded, but honestly never looked and have never really payed attention to the start up screen. The fact that someone used it for ADSB, doesn't mean it was a W.

Last edited:
The fact that someone used it for ADSB, doesn't mean it was a W.

It may be technically possible to get the position to a transponder off of a non-WAAS 430, I’m not sure. But it certainly is not usable for ADS-B, as that requires WAAS.

It may be technically possible to get the position to a transponder off of a non-WAAS 430, I’m not sure. But it certainly is not usable for ADS-B, as that requires WAAS.

The point I was making was that just because someone used it for something doesn't mean that it is appropriate for that use. Lots of people make mistakes. I can't tell you how many planes that I have seen planes pop out of clouds that weren't talking to ATC. Lots of inappropriate stuff going on out there.

Since seller claims it was an adsb source, boot it up into configuration mode (hold down enter key (I think) while booting up). Look at RS 232 output formats. Do any say ‘ADSB+‘? If ‘no’, call bs on seller. If ‘yes’, ask Garmin guy here if that format can even be installed on a non-waas box. I think not, but confirm with him.

Since seller claims it was an adsb source, boot it up into configuration mode (hold down enter key (I think) while booting up). Look at RS 232 output formats. Do any say ‘ADSB+‘? If ‘no’, call bs on seller. If ‘yes’, ask Garmin guy here if that format can even be installed on a non-waas box. I think not, but confirm with him.

I don't believe that ADSB+ is available on the 430. However, not all 430Ws have this either. I had an older W and had to do a SW update in order to get the ADSB+ config option.

I don't believe that ADSB+ is available on the 430. However, not all 430Ws have this either. I had an older W and had to do a SW update in order to get the ADSB+ config option.

This is correct. However, OP stated that the seller told him it was being used as an adsb position source. If that’s true then there must be an adsb+ formatted output there.

If that’s true then there must be an adsb+ formatted output there.

I try to never underestimate another's ability to make mistakes. very possible the PO set it to ADSB and never bothered to get a PAPI to see if it actually worked.

post a picture of the serial number and part number.

i think the 430, if upgraded to a 430W, got a new part number.

That's the easiest way to tell.

430 upgrade to W

Yes, a 430 that has been upgraded to 430W gets a new part nr.
You should be able to see it on the back of the unit.

Good Luck

Back