What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip Lenses

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'm getting ready to attach the lenses. Plans call for one nut plate in each corner. While this might be adequate?, it seems a bit....minimal (and I've seen posts where DARs rejected this, even though it's according to plans). Also, I would like the lenses to match the tip fiberglass elevation as best as possible (read speed/fuel savings), and two fasteners just doesn't do it, at least with the materials I have, read super soft/flexible lens plastic.

I love the “one screw” in each corner look. I’ve seen almost every installation where they use multiple screws that the lens puckers up between screws.. requiring more screws, then it puckers between those, seemingly causing the problem that you are trying to avoid. Same with the empennage fairings. Look at the way some guys install the empennage fairings with only 2 or 4 screws.. looks great with no puckering! I did my wingtips by warming up the lens, and holding it tight to the wingtip cove, trying to stretch it into place. It looks great. A friend of mine didn’t even do any holes, he uses clear silicone them in place on much faster Lancair 4Ps, and they stay put.

I've got a 7, but I would assume the wingtips are similar in design. One screw in the top and bottom corners will hold the lens in place. Have seen this on a bunch of 6's and 7's with no issues. Don't sweat it.

Question about these Wingtip light lenses. They are made of material that is quite a bit softer than canopy, so is cutting them easier too? Also, mine look a bit like they're tinted, though the offerings in the store say clear. Finally, over the years since they were delivered, they have gotten a few rub marks. Do these buff out like canopy material, or should I consider new ones?

Lens

Question about these Wingtip light lenses. They are made of material that is quite a bit softer than canopy, so is cutting them easier too? Also, mine look a bit like they're tinted, though the offerings in the store say clear. Finally, over the years since they were delivered, they have gotten a few rub marks. Do these buff out like canopy material, or should I consider new ones?

On my 7, the lens was one piece. Cuts easy with a cut off wheel on a Dremel. It's not like canopy plexi.
I managed to fog a spot on one of mine with a chemical and buffed it right out with compound and polish.
Mine had no noticeable tint.
One screw in each corner top and bottom.
Practice on the one you have. If you're not happy, order a replacement.

Clay, they are kinda soft compared to the canopy and don't buff out as nice. I did use the Novus products and they came out fine with a little elbow grease.

... and one screw top and bottom, works good, lasts a long time ...

Finally Got the Wingtips Done

This is what I ended up doing:

Added two more nut plates each side.

Laid up the lens against the fiberglass and filled gaps with epox/401

Wingtip Lens Epoxied.jpg

Sanded and reapplied....repeat...

Wingtip Lens Third Epoxy Coat.jpg

Wingtip AeroSun and Leading Edge Light.jpg

Paint

Wingtips Painted Lens Installed.jpg

Results in a nice tight fit for lens against the fiberglass tip with a nice smooth transition between the lens and the glas. Yours may fit better than mine did. Mine didn't fit very well as you can see from the layer of epoxy/401.

Last edited:
I don't think I have a picture, but to get a good fit on mine I ended up with 3 screws in the top of each like the picture a couple of posts up. The lower side where nobody will ever see it just has one screw in the corner.

FYI- that stuff is so soft you can cut it with a pare of aluminum snips as long as it's not freezing.

Back