What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Legacy Dynon units with mismatched firmware

rondawes

Well Known Member
I'm referring to the legacy D-100, D-120, HS34, AP74, remote mag compass, 2 servos.

It's a long story how I got here but I will be heading out tomorrow to pick up a new to me plane with version 5.6.1 on the D-100 and 5.4.3 on everything else and no way to update them if the serial pigtail connections are not in the existing wiring harness. Previous owner was not the builder and he did not have occasion to try to update the firmware. The D-100 just came back from Dynon with updated firmware is the reason for the mismatch.

Dynon strongly recommends that all units be on the same version. But what happens if they are not?

I'll certainly call Dynon tomorrow (Monday) but was wondering if anyone had any experience in this type of situation. Thanks

Just had a similar issue as my D-100 came back with 5.6.1 and the rest were on 5.4.X but I do have the RS232 harnesses and updated the D-120 and HS34 before I connected the D-100 back into the system, Dynon also says in the manual to send in the remote compass module which I was not asked to do and I assume is updated by the D-100 when plugged in, everything seems to be working fine.
If you look at the release notes from 5.4.3 to 5.6.1 most of the updates are minor with the AP having the most significant update in 5.5.
I suspect it will not be a huge issue but Dynon has been real responsive on my repair so I think you will get a quick response, you could also try a search on their forums.
Figs

Just had a similar issue as my D-100 came back with 5.6.1 and the rest were on 5.4.X but I do have the RS232 harnesses and updated the D-120 and HS34 before I connected the D-100 back into the system, Dynon also says in the manual to send in the remote compass module which I was not asked to do and I assume is updated by the D-100 when plugged in, everything seems to be working fine.
If you look at the release notes from 5.4.3 to 5.6.1 most of the updates are minor with the AP having the most significant update in 5.5.
I suspect it will not be a huge issue but Dynon has been real responsive on my repair so I think you will get a quick response, you could also try a search on their forums.
Figs

I did try to search the Dynon forums but came up with no results that apply. According to how I read the manual, the D-100 will update the AP76, the remote compass and the servos over the network. That only leaves the D-120 and HS34 to be manually updated. If it proves to not have the harness connections, I'm hoping I can still fly it home safely and then add those once I get home. I'll see what Dynon says in the morning.

I just wish they had not done me the "favor" of updating the D-100 without asking. I did not think to tell them "don't" when I sent it in.

If you have the DSUB connector it should not be an issue updating the software. If all your units are interconnected, which they should be, the Dynon update software will update all of the connected devices to the latest version. Takes less than 20 minutes.

Back