What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Problems...

TXFlyGuy

Well Known Member
Here is a copy of the email sent to Garmin...

I have a complete Garmin stack, G3X Touch, GTN-650, Audio Panel, Com Radio, Autopilot, etc.

The G3X has display problems. The screen will blank out, has wavy lines running across horizontally, shows a large red X at the ADI, and so on.

It was installed by Avionics 1st, in Dallas Texas, in 2015. But the plane only has one hour of flight time on it now.

The G3X is wired into the essential bus, and is powered up any time the Master Switch is on as it contains all of my engine instruments.

Do you have any ideas as to what the problem might be? Faulty unit? Voltage issues?

I will get you photos this week of the display. The problem is intermittent, and most often occurs with the engine running.

Thanks for your help.

Any thoughts from you Garmin owners?

No battery back up on the G3X, as it is on the essential (emergency) bus. It is powered at all times by the master switch, or by selecting the emergency bus to on.

All other avionics powered through an avionics master switch. The GRT has internal battery power in case we lose everything else.

edit: None of these problems existed prior to my recent update of the software operating system. An additional problem is I no longer have fuel flow info, in gph.

Last edited:
Update -

It seems some Bozo installed the software for the GDU 3XX, rather than for the GDU 460.

The correct software has been stored on an SD Card, and will be installed tomorrow.

We are hoping this will restore the function to the G3X Touch.

Back