What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Pax floor foot wells and other

Freemasm

Well Known Member
Not on any drawings I've seen but they are in a lot of pix. Does anyone have a any drawings/knowledge/warnings/etc they'd like to share regarding rear pax footwells?

A lot of pictures I've seen show most, if not all floor panels installed with screws versus the "permanent" ones being riveted. Again, any knowledge/warnings/etc you can share?

Thanks,
Scott F

Call the company!

I recall handing Vince a big box of those things - ring him up 1st.

Keep building!!

I recall handing Vince a big box of those things - ring him up 1st.

Keep building!!

Didn’t see them in the drawing so didn’t think there was anything to order..

Any comment on the river vs screw floor panel question? Much thx.

I used plate nuts and screws for just about every floor component except the rear baggage shelf. Installing them was not a fun job but in the 18 plus years since installing them I’ve been very happy the times I’ve wanted to remove a panel. Plan your roll trim and AP servo installs around where the heal buckets will be. Also take in to account the rear rudder pedals if you will be installing those.

Floors

Having just installed and removed my floors about a dozen times (don't ask), I can give the following advice. I have an RV-8 but I think they are very similar to the -4 and the rocket.

I used screws, and I'm very happy that I didn't have to keep drilling out rivets. Some say that rivets are easier and faster, but screws are pretty easy.

I installed a nutplate and screw at each of the pre-punched holes in the floor. My feeling is that this is double what's needed, but if you have a pre-punched hole I guess you have to fill it. If I did it again, I'd probably skip every other hole.

I'm sure come annual inspection time I'll be much more likely to pull the floors since I have screws. If I had rivets, I'd be like "I'll just get a borescope in there" which is probably fine, but naked eyeballs are probably better.

Back