What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ForeFlight to auto pilot

No. ForeFlight is not capable of outputting any NMEA or RS232 messages necessary to drive an autopilot, fuel computer, etc.

Dedicated portables from Garmin/iFly/etc can, if you require that functionality.

Depends on what you mean with ‘connect’ . Physical or virtual?

You can transfer a flight plan to a Dynon which drives your autopilot in flight using wifi. The autopilot will react immediately after transfer. I do that a lot to divert around weather.

Oliver

Nope

Like 00Dan said, no signal out to drive an AP. This was recently asked, same consensus.

Could ForeFlight make it work or not
Danny

Could they? Sure.

Will they? Boeing’s lawyers say “absolutely not.” Even if the liability wasn’t the hang up, the market is limited to experimental only, and their user base is much broader than that. The market isn’t worth the effort.

I can share flight plans from ForeFlight to either my AFS 5400 EFIS or to my Avidyne IFD440 navigator/FMS. The autopilot will fly that flight plan from either device.

Last edited:
You can do it with an Area 760 and probably earlier units also. The Area seems to drive the autopilot as well as my 430w does. I have not yet tried shooting an approach with it but will soon.

Foreflight

So if you put the Garmin
Flight stream in it will let you navigate
Foreflight to your auto pilot

Danny

You can do it with an Area 760 and probably earlier units also. The Area seems to drive the autopilot as well as my 430w does. I have not yet tried shooting an approach with it but will soon.

The Aera 760 provides lateral AP guidance via RS232 but does not provide vertical guidance (no Arinc 429) although I believe I have read on here that you can get some form of vertical guidance when it is coupled to a G5 with Garmin AP servos. Nice unit and integrates well with legacy equipment.
Figs

Foreflight

I’ve always used Foreflight very easy to use
How is the Garmin 760 is it as good as Foreflight ?

Looks like there is no easy way for the auto pilot

Danny

I use ForeFlight to send a plan to my Aera 660. The Aera talks to my Garmin autopilot and provides lateral guidance as well as vertical guidance (via VNAV) from cruise altitude down to pattern altitude. It really is a nice system.

ForeFlight

So ForeFlight will have talk the a
Garmin 660 or 760 and the autopilot will follow the ForeFlight on the iPad

Danny

No, ForeFlight will not output what all autopilots need RS232 or NEMA signals. ForeFlight can send a complete flight plan to some devices, but that is it. The device/AP does the steering, not ForeFlight. You can use ForeFlight to create a flight plan, and send it, but no physical connection to autopilot for steering. Clear? If not Glad to PM you my phone number to discuss. Let me know.

Back