What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anybody have experience with Minimax aircraft Tugs?

jj13

I'm sure there are better tugs out there, so I'm not looking for the best. I would just like to spend the least amount for a Tug that really works for my situation. I have a RV9A located in ATL (KLZU) with a slight up-hill into it's hanger. It needs to work on the blacktop surface when it's wet. The MiniMax looks like it should do it, but it would be nice to get a reference or two.

Thank you

I had one for my Grumman Tiger and after that, one for my Commander 114. They work differently mechanically but both use the same power units. I was pleased with both. I presume the model for RVs uses the same style mechanism as the one for my Tiger. In wet situation, you need to press down on the end of the power unit to push the traction wheel down so it does not slip. It worked OK for me several times in wet situations. When I ordered both of mine, I opted for the upgraded Milwaukee drill. The Dewalt may be good enough for the lighter weight RV aircraft.

I'm sure there are better tugs out there, so I'm not looking for the best. I would just like to spend the least amount for a Tug that really works for my situation. I have a RV9A located in ATL (KLZU) with a slight up-hill into it's hanger. It needs to work on the blacktop surface when it's wet. The MiniMax looks like it should do it, but it would be nice to get a reference or two.

Thank you

Uphill in the rain, on a nose wheel with a wheel pant? This is not a recipe for success for the Minimax tug. There simply won't be enough weight on the nose/tug unit to get optimal traction. Depending on the exact conditions, it might work, or might not. It will work great on dry, level ground.

Minimax is a very good product, but all products have design limitations and this is outside of the MM nosewheel/wheel pant design parameters.

My qualification to say this? Blake sells Minimax and I'm very familiar with the units.

Uphill in the rain, on a nose wheel with a wheel pant? This is not a recipe for success for the Minimax tug. There simply won't be enough weight on the nose/tug unit to get optimal traction. Depending on the exact conditions, it might work, or might not. It will work great on dry, level ground.

Minimax is a very good product, but all products have design limitations and this is outside of the MM nosewheel/wheel pant design parameters.

My qualification to say this? Blake sells Minimax and I'm very familiar with the units.

Nothing is perfect but as I said, when you press down on the handle it transfers more weight to the traction wheels. It worked fine for me in wet conditions. The unit for my Tiger worked better in wet conditions than the one for my Commander 114. My slope was relatively mild, but a definite slope nonetheless. Just my experience with a small sample size.

Thank you everyone for your feedback

This is just what I was looking for. I appreciate your feedback this will greatly help me in making my buying decision.

Thank you

I bought a minimax, tale of horror! I have an RV-7 and a Scout. I had to return the standard shaft and get the extension shaft, ($1500 plus another $240 for shipping and the extension shaft). Had to weld a boat type winch on the shaft to pull the tailwheel onto the platform. Had to weld a stand on the shaft to prevent the unit from falling and breaking the plastic drill motor at the top of the shaft. Total P.O.S!! I sold it after only a few months for $500.00, big loss! Just received my "Best Tugs" A3 from the guys in Utah, what a great piece of equipment! Spendy, yes, but I have twice taken a big fall trying to pull the Scout into my hangar with wet shoes, the Minimax was not much help, kept spinning wheels. I love the "Best Tug"!

DAR Gary

I Did buy the Minimax with the upgraded Milwaukee drive

I found it very easy to assemble, and so far it has worked well with my 9A. I have not used it yet in the rain or on a wet surface. But as previous posters have said just by pushing down on the handle more pressure can be applied to the wheels, so we'll see. The best tug has great reviews and I'm sure is superior to the Minimax at a much higher price. I just needed something that would do a very specific job for the aircraft and hanger I have. I believe the Best Tug would be overkill for my situation. I also like the simplicity of the Minimax, easy to get a new battery and even the Milwaukee drill in the future if needed.

Taxi in

I can taxi my 6A into my T hangar and then turn it around. Stop as soon as the mains clear the door tracks. Freaks people out the first time they see it. The short wings and tight turning radius do come in handy some time....LOL

Just another option.

Question about moving an RV7

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this question

Does anyone have any experience with easy to use main wheel dollies for an RV 7 with wheel pants?

Here is my problem: My hanger door is 22' wide but, as you know, the wingspan of an RV7 is 25'. This means that I have to zig-zag my plane through the door to move it outside. Since the length of an RV7 is about 20' I'd like to figure some way to move it sideways through the door, wing first. But to do this I need to put the mains on a dolly with castering wheels. All of the dollies that I have found won't work because the wheel pants don't have enough "ground clearance" to get the dolly on the tire without hitting the wheel pants.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Back