What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage tank capacity

Chris Cooper

I’m in the process of buying an RV3A built in 2004. It has a fuselage tank but when I was looking at the aircraft I couldn’t see a capacity. Was it a standard tank size that came with the kit? The panel gauge shows 15 gallons...

Does anyone know if there is sufficient space behind the panel to fit a Garmin G5 or MGL EFIS?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
The fuselage tank is supposed to be 24 gallons. I just bought a RV-3 and put a Garmin G5 in the panel, there is plenty of room.

Thanks, I have asked the vendor to drain and fill the tank so I know for real. Did you add a magnetometer to your G5 setup? Where did you put it?

No magnetometer. I have one in my Citabria and everything works without one. Haven't test flown the RV-3 yet. I replaced a 3 1/8 compass with the G5 and added a 2 1/4 whiskey compass in a vacant hole.

My 1983 RV3A has a 25 USG aftermarket fuselage tank in it; don?t ask me why. If you don?t want to empty & refill it to determine its capacity, just measure it. 231 cubic inches = 1 USG.

Thanks Rich. I won?t get the aircraft until the New Year but I managed to get the vendor to check the paperwork and the weight and balance says 99 Litres which is about 26 gallons.

Good stuff. Yes, litres are far easier to measure, but some folks still resist the simplicity of metric. :)

Good luck with your plane. I still haven?t flown mine. Working on getting some tailwheel experience. Can?t wait to get it airborne.

I?m doing the same Rich as I don?t have any tailwheel time. I have about 10,000 hours but only 400 of it is fixed wing and none of that is tailwheel. Will be flying a Pitts in the New Year to get some dragging time.

RV-3A fuel tank capacity

I?m in the process of buying an RV3A built in 2004. It has a fuselage tank but when I was looking at the aircraft I couldn?t see a capacity. Was it a standard tank size that came with the kit? The panel gauge shows 15 gallons...

Does anyone know if there is sufficient space behind the panel to fit a Garmin G5 or MGL EFIS?

Many thanks.

BL: You really can't use the word "standard" in referencing the "3's", since each was a creation until itself before the days of pre-punched parts, etc. The 3A I restored and flew for a year had a centerline tank w/22 gallons; and I wish it had 25-26. It should have a tank capacity placard somewhere as well that the current owner could tell you about, or e-mail a picture of it, etc.

Doug

RV-3A sold
RV-9A Mazda 13B / FWF

Back