What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting over AN hardware

Rv8bill

Looking to prime and paint the interior of my RV8 white in color. Anyone have an easy and effective way to cover the exposed AN hardware while doing this? It looks like the powder coated gear bracket bolts will remain exposed, maybe hardware in other locations as well.

Masking

I've always used Frog painters tape or black electrical tape. Masking is probably 90% of the work.

I've tried to sequence my painting so I didn't paint the AN hardware. I did have a big masking job before I painted my interior though. Certain things I delayed installing so that they wouldn't be painted. However, if it turns out that I need to paint an area or possibly repaint an area I'll probably just paint the hardware and not worry about it. Masking hex head bolts I don't see as something that will be very easy to do.

A trick I've heard of, but never used, is to put Vaseline on the parts you don't want painted. After painting, just wipe them off.

Back