What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel attachment wobble-RV3

Rich Fisher

My RV3 tailwheel attachment point has become elongated and allows the wheel to twist left and right. What would be the best repair for this problem? Anyone else had this issue to deal with? Thanks, Rich

My RV3 tailwheel attachment point has become elongated and allows the wheel to twist left and right. What would be the best repair for this problem? Anyone else had this issue to deal with? Thanks, Rich

Need more information to answer - So is the stinger rotating or moving relative to the fuselage, is the tailwheel knuckle rotating on the stinger, or is the tailwheel sloppily rotating relative to the knuckle (right and left as if steering)? Each of those is a different problem with potentially different solutions.

More info

The bolt holding the stringer to the fuselage is rotating left and right. I think the through hole is elongated allowing bolt to rotate left and right. I will disassembled further but this is what I am feeling through the inspection plate. Thanks Rich

The bolt holding the stringer to the fuselage is rotating left and right. I think the through hole is elongated allowing bolt to rotate left and right. I will disassembled further but this is what I am feeling through the inspection plate. Thanks Rich

In that case a taper pin is a reasonably good solution - you just need the appropriate pin, washer and nut - along with the tapered reamer. Works great, but you might be surprised at how much you spend before you’re done...so see if someone has the appropriate reamer - its a shame to spend a bunch on a tool that gets used once.

Paul

In that case a taper pin is a reasonably good solution - you just need the appropriate pin, washer and nut - along with the tapered reamer. Works great, but you might be surprised at how much you spend before you’re done...so see if someone has the appropriate reamer - its a shame to spend a bunch on a tool that gets used once.

Paul

I just bought all the parts to do this to a -8 that I maintain. I found the best price on a #1 Brown and Sharp reamer at Aircraft Tool Supply.

Back