What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LED Strobes

caryr

Well Known Member
Patron
I built my RV-7 in 2004, so I had Whelen Strobes.

I am going to be behind the baggage area bulkhead to install an elevator servo soon.

I was thinking I should get rid of that honker transformer Whelen while I was in the neighborhood.

Does somebody have a 'plug and play' replacement unit that makes since.

I realize I have to change out the wingtip items also.

Thanks

Absolutely second Majorpayne's post regarding Flyleds! That's what I have and zero regrets. Great product and service!

+3 (or whatever number) for Paul and FlyLEDs. You can wire yourself, or Paul will sell you a box with Whelen connectors installed so it is nearly ‘plug and play’.
Edit added. If you don’t want to run new wiring and/or new switches, you’ll just get ‘replacements’. e.g., you need new wires to use some features like putting the strobes in ‘flood lighting’ mode, or ‘wig-wag’ mode for landing lights. I personally just re-used existing wires, no flood or wig wag, I’m happy.

Last edited:
Love my FLYLEDS..... so much less current, weight, parts count, repair cost... and even more. Leave them on all the time

FlyLeds are an excellent option, but they are not plug and play. Some modification of the wing tip will be required. Wiring changes would be simple with FlyLeds strobe power adapter. The power adapter and the control board need to be mounted. Unless the mounting points are exactly the same as the Whelen power supply some modification will be required. Not to say that any of these changes are difficult in the least. They are very simple. Just not plug and play.

Another led option is AeroLED Pulsar. They use the same mount as the Whelens. But at $1,200 for 2 tip lights and tail light it is the pricy way of going. And some minor wire changes to jump out the power supply will be needed.

I have antiquated xenon strobes. I do not plan on replacing them until something fails.

FlyLeds

The easiest way is FlyLeds. Yes, you will have to trim each of the boards to your wing tips, but it is not hard. I removed my Whelen power pack, wingtip and tail strobes and used the same wires so no rewiring.

0F811B76-3B6A-48E0-A810-B7D5A7225FB4.png

To make it easier, I got some molex connectors on eBay to mate with the connectors in the plane, and put them on the dsub connector. I was able to reuse the power from the strobe switch, and you will have to run a wire from the nav switch to where you mounted the board for the nav lights. You will also need to run another wire for the wigwag if you want that options.

Good luck, and you will reduce your total light power from 30 amps to about 4 amps for the Works kit including the landing/taxi lights.

Brian

To make your life even easier (thanks Brian and Brian!) we now sell an adapter kit.
It includes the same AMP connectors as found on a Whelen strobe power supply, and a base plate that is the same footprint with the same hole locations. You can drill your own holes if needed.
This kit should make substituting the old with the new a 30 minute job. No crimping or soldering wires in hard to get at places, just plug and play with your existing wiring!

2456543302.jpg

Two pounds of weight out, 5 ounces/150 grams in!

Aero-Lites. Direct LED replacements for Whelen. Get rid of that power supply. Install couldn’t be easier. Much brighter than original, and a fraction of the current requirement. And they are quiet, even if you get the strobes.

https://www.aero-lites.com/

I’ve used these on my last RV4, and the swap took about 5 minutes and were much brighter.

And another for FlyLEDs

While it might not be 100% plug and play, it's not a lot of work but the result is 200% worth the little effort required to install a FlyLEDs kit.

I replaced my standard landing and taxi lights with Pauls' Combo kit two years ago, and the difference is literally night and day. I've just received my Original Position & Strobe kit from Paul and am really looking forward to installing it - the cost of the complete kit isn't much more than a replacement bulb for my Whelen set up so it really was a no-brainer of a decision, especially when taking the weight and power savings into account.

Oh, and Pauls pre- and post- sale support is second to none - it's gotta be FLyLEDs :)

Back