What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Re: tail wheel spring on RV-8

Re: tail wheel spring on RV-8

I'm having to modify my tail wheel system because the holes in the aft portion of the spring where the tail wheel socket is located were drilled slightly off line so the tail wheel is tilted 1 degree to the right. Doesn't sound like much but it wore off the right side of the tire and the airplane really wants to turn right when the tail wheel is down. I've bought all new parts including tail wheel fork, tire and mounting socket. My question, since I didn't build the airplane, are the AN3 bolt(s) that hold the spring in the tailcone drilled accurately by Van's or is that left to the builder? I would hate to drill the new socket and the spring and find that all of it is still crooked.
BTW, as a former Staggerwing owner, one of the primary takeoff checklist items was to get the airplane straight on the runway and lock the tailwheel before you made the R985 angry. If you didn't lock it you were going to do a circle on the runway. Locked, it went straight and accelerated like crazy. Anyone know why Van's doesn't use a lockable tailwheel?

My understanding is that it depends on the age of the kit. With the older kits, the builder drilled the spring in the weldment. This led to them not always being drilled straight. I believe the new ones come match drilled from Vans. You can find out by flipping the tail spring upside down. If the bolt goes in easily, yours is drilled plumb. Mine was not.

I just replaced mine and I had to have the new spring match drilled using the old spring. That way it matched up with the weldment. It should only be one bolt if we’re talking about an -8.

Last edited:
THANKS

I just talked to Van's builder support and they didn't know for sure where it was drilled so I am assuming that your experience is what I am going to have. I will remove it and check it out. I just ordered a new spring from Flyboys and once I have the old spring out I can take them both to a machine shop and get them to drill it. Now way on earth I could guarantee straight with a hand drill.
Thanks for the help!
Peter

+1 for Blake's tech sheets.

http://flyboyblog.com/

He addresses many tailwheel and gascolator problems. Also, you'll find tips for using "Tom's oil filter cutter", gear leg stiffeners, and more.

A good read.

BTW, Blake sells the replacement parts UNDRILLED so that you can match what you need regardless of how misaligned the original holes might be.

I bought the undrilled spring and it's at the machine shop now; Once I get the spring match drilled I'm going use the necessary widgets to get the socket vertical and then have the mach8ne shop drill the two holes on the spring. I bought a new fork and wheel from flyboys so if this doesn't work I'll make a hangar queen out of it.

Back