What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FLYLED RV6a leading edge recommendation/suggestions

NorcalRV

I'm New Here
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to upgrade my taxi/landing lights. They are both mounted (one above the other) in the same wing on the leading edge. I am not a mechanically minded person so I am looking for the "easiest" solution but need a significant upgrade.

I was thinking of getting the FLYLED QUAD spotlight. Would this utilize the same wiring I already have in place to run landing and taxi lights? The website states "You can see that it would only take a few minutes to enlarge that hole to accommodate the heatsinks behind the LEDs" - what tools I need accomplish this? Has anyone done this before and can send me pictures/video of the install.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ryan

Attachments

• rv6a light.jpg
    rv6a light.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 136
Hi Everyone,
I was thinking of getting the FLYLED QUAD spotlight. Would this utilize the same wiring I already have in place to run landing and taxi lights? The website states "You can see that it would only take a few minutes to enlarge that hole to accommodate the heatsinks behind the LEDs" - what tools I need accomplish this? Has anyone done this before and can send me pictures/video of the install.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ryan

Yes you can use the same wiring. Flyleds give you instructions to use existing wiring. The install is not hard at all. Most of your work is done. All you'll be doing is modifying the light mounting bracket for the new lights and rewire. This is the first I've seen with two lights stacked like that so I don't know how they fab'd the holes to mount the lights.

If the bracket can be reused the tool list would be metal files and/or a drill with a sanding drum to enlarge the opening up to a 4" dia. hole for the new lights. Rewire per instructions and reassemble. If for some reason the bracket can not be modified then purchase the Duckworks Round Lampless Install Kit with 4" hole. They have you rivet a section on with solid rivets but can be done with pulled rivets. So you shouldn't have to worry if you do not own a squeezer. Or you can borrow one from a hangar neighbor.

To assemble the lights you'll need soldering equipment. Not expensive and Flyled will tell you what you'll need. Solder comes with the kit.

http://duckworksav.com/LELightKits.html
Round_Install_Only_Kit_160.JPG

PXL_20210808_185853596.jpg PXL_20210808_185951956.jpg PXL_20210808_190103065.jpg PXL_20210808_190427333.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Ryan
You have a unique arrangement there with your two stacked lights!

The Quad spotlights come with two mounting holes 5" apart that usually match up with just one of your lights. You can either add new holes in your light bay bracket to suit, or you should be able to easily drill some new holes in the light itself to match the existing screw holes in your light bay.

The wiring should be straight forward also. The light has a "Main" power input that lights up all four spots, and a "Taxi" power input that lights up just one.

Note that all of our landing light products do not require any soldering, but will need a single screwdriver and 20 minutes of your time to assemble.
(Carlos did solder together one of our wingtip position and strobe light kits!)

Note that all of our landing light products do not require any soldering, but will need a single screwdriver and 20 minutes of your time to assemble.
(Carlos did solder together one of our wingtip position and strobe light kits!)

Oops :eek:. Paul is correct. I soldered the nav/strobe kit together. Not needed for the landing /taxi lights. So now it's even easier! :D

You guys are amazing - so happy to be apart of this community! Thanks for the input and advice. Paul I really appreciate your taking the time. Ordering now!

Ryan

Thanks for your order Ryan!
Please come back and post to this thread when you're done and have had the time to compare the lights in operation.

In the process!

Just exchanged emails with Paul during ordering. BOY does he provide customer service! I’ll post my mods to my RV6A here. Currently soldering up the kit and installing shortly. Looks like an excellent fit so far and eager to witness the performance of the quad!

Back