What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grand Rapids~erratic EGT probe indication

stringbender

Patron
Recently I decided to move #3 to #1 cylinder position (EGT) because number one ran 75 degree's hotter. I had to open up a tied wire bundle harness and pull about 5 inches from the #3 through the bulkhead, knowing that there was slack on the underside of the instrument panel. After doing the swap #3 indications were erratic and sometimes stuck on 2234 at idle.

The only difficulty during the job was the removal of the probe itself, both were difficult to pull out of the exhaust. I guess I had to break or dislodge the "crust" and I think possibly it caused to much stress on the probe?

Can someone with experience remark on what has caused this or give a solution.
Thankyou
Doug Bent
Stuart, FL

Id remove all EGT and test with known temp…boiling water. Anything not close , toss and replace. On my 6A all connection s are under the cowl. Wire from EIS4000 to hot side of firewall, then all just plug in there. How old are the probes?, Its a tough life in the tight cowled RVs ,especially EGTs.

Recently I decided to move #3 to #1 cylinder position (EGT) because number one ran 75 degree's hotter. I had to open up a tied wire bundle harness and pull about 5 inches from the #3 through the bulkhead, knowing that there was slack on the underside of the instrument panel. After doing the swap #3 indications were erratic and sometimes stuck on 2234 at idle.

The only difficulty during the job was the removal of the probe itself, both were difficult to pull out of the exhaust. I guess I had to break or dislodge the "crust" and I think possibly it caused to much stress on the probe?

Can someone with experience remark on what has caused this or give a solution.
Thankyou
Doug Bent
Stuart, FL

Doug,

Does the probe look burnt or eaten away? I had a wacky EGT last year and pulled the probe to find it somewhat deteriorated, see picture attached. It was also difficult to remove and was a bit crusty.

I ordered a new probe and it solved my issue. Not sure if you have the same issue.

Good luck.

Attachments

• 662DDF0C-C2DA-4562-8BB5-D4D9285B0DCE.jpg
    662DDF0C-C2DA-4562-8BB5-D4D9285B0DCE.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 83
I agree with Foghorn and RV10Pilot. First check the connections which tend to be the problem. I personally went with the EI Wire Overlap Connectors and now both my EGT and CGT readings are solid. If you go with these connectors, make sure you also have the correct 0.050 HEX wrench. :)

I agree with Foghorn and RV10Pilot. First check the connections which tend to be the problem. I personally went with the EI Wire Overlap Connectors and now both my EGT and CGT readings are solid. If you go with these connectors, make sure you also have the correct 0.050 HEX wrench. :)
Or directly from EI and you get a wrench. https://www.iflyei.com/product/olc-2/ I am in the slow process of replacing all my EGT and CHT sensor crimp connections with EI Wire Overlap Connectors.

Back