What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pmag RPM

gen1313

Hi,
Hoping for so advice from those who have preceded me on this.
I’m fitting dual Pmags to my IO390 (RV-14). Am I correct in thinking that the wiring for the rpm sensor on the left mag goes to the same pin on the G3x that I will need for the Pmag? If that’s the case can I use the same wire?

Thanks

Hi,
Hoping for so advice from those who have preceded me on this.
I’m fitting dual Pmags to my IO390 (RV-14). Am I correct in thinking that the wiring for the rpm sensor on the left mag goes to the same pin on the G3x that I will need for the Pmag? If that’s the case can I use the same wire?

Thanks

Not that it’s any of my business, but not sure why someone outside the USA would use pmags. Repair or updating them is going to be a major hassle.
The angle valve 390 doesn’t like the aggressive advance curve either.
Yes pins 6 and 8 are tach inputs.

Last edited:
not sure why someone outside the USA would use pmags. Repair or updating them is going to be a major hassle.

Like any other ignition system, including the ol'fashioned magneto... and the Lycosaurus itself. Even RV kits are US manufactured...
Using a lot more dedication, and more $, foreign builders and operators are able to keep flying :)

Thanks for the responses -I think?

I appreciate your sentiment Dan. If we couldn’t handle the inconvenience of delays, extra expense and limited support, no one in Australia would even attempt to build and enjoy an RV. We must all be a bit more resilient than that.

If we couldn’t handle the inconvenience of delays, extra expense and limited support, no one in Australia would even attempt to build and enjoy an RV. We must all be a bit more resilient than that.

Very well said!!! :cool:

Not quite sure what you're asking.

If you're converting from magnetos to Pmags, and you want to use the tach output signal from the left Pmag as an RPM input to the G3X system, then yeah, the wire connected to your legacy tach drive can be repurposed and routed to the terminal block on the back of the Pmag.

From memory I had to configure the G3X input for two pulses per RPM.

- mark

Back