What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowlings, engiene accessibility, and T-hangars

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Last night, there was a meeting with the Savannah Airport director. Two quotes are memorable: T-hangars are becoming a luxury; and Hangars that are affordable for pilots are money-losers for the (big) airport. The AOPA representative says that this situation is common, nation wide.

My T-hangar is threatened by airport redevelopment, driven by moneyed interests far greater than single engine piston aircraft. If I end up in a community hangar, I may no longer have the luxury of leaving the cowling off the plane while working on more involved projects, and there may be all kinds of constraints in a community hangar. Worse if I'm working outdoors. Nearby airports are full for miles around.

So... Bonanzas and Piper Cubs have doors on the sides of the cowling for easier access, and the RV-15 will have engine access through the bottom of the cowling. Seems to me that engine accessibility is a need that will become ever more important in years to come. Hopefully the factory will address this, or maybe this is an opportunity for third party cowlings designed for engine maintenance and not just for speed.

So... Bonanzas and Piper Cubs have doors on the sides of the cowling for easier access, and the RV-15 will have engine access through the bottom of the cowling.

Not sure where you might have heard this but it wasn't from us.

As of right now anyway, the plan is for a traditional two piece cowl like all the other RV's have.

Back