What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Red or Clear belly strobe?

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
That's the question. The only strobe on my plane is in the belly, and I'm not about to go through painful process of running more wires out into the wing... Been there, done that, got the scratches on the forearms. I don't fly at night, so I could abandon the landing lights and use those wires for strobes, but...

So the question is, red or white? EDITED ADDITION: Red strobe or white strobe.

I'm leaning towards the PSA Enterprises Model 927 because that looks like the easiest replacement with no need to alter sheet metal nor clamber into the aft fuselage. The two mounting holes are 1.75" apart.

I've not fussed with the existing strobe to see what kind it is because I don't know how it's mounted and don't want to suddenly find out I have to climb into the aft fuselage.

So... red or white? Strobe, not wine...

Last edited:
Red is much harder to see and does not appear as bright as a white beacon / strobe.

Your operating limitations should say something about night and or IFR operation needing to meet the requirements of 91.205. I would do the research to make sure any beacon / strobe installation would meet the requirements to fly 91.205 Night and or IFR else it does not need to be installed so I would save the weight and expense of a replacement if not operating Night and or IFR.

[SNIP] I don't fly at night, so I could abandon the landing lights and use those wires for strobes, but...

So the question is, red or white?

I'm leaning towards the PSA Enterprises Model 927 because that looks like the easiest replacement with no need to alter sheet metal nor clamber into the aft fuselage. The two mounting holes are 1.75" apart.

I've not fussed with the existing strobe to see what kind it is because I don't know how it's mounted and don't want to suddenly find out I have to climb into the aft fuselage.

So... red or white? Strobe, not wine...

You don't fly at night? You don't need lights, period. Even if you fly at night you only need NAV LIGHTS and "Anti Collision" Strobes. You do not need landing lights or beacons on belly or top fuselage. Keep in mind all external lights add drag, weight and cost money.

DAY ONLY - NO Lights

NIGHT - NAV and ANTI-COLLISION
NAV LIGHTS (Red, Green, White).
Red LEFT WNIG facing forward and out
Green RIGHT WING, facing forward and out
White Tail facing aft and out to each side. The aft white NAV can be on both wing tips as well.

Anti Collison White Strobes, typically externaSlly mounted on wing tips. If you mount inside wing tip recess you need a tail strobe as well.
NOTE: Some builders (including many of Van's Demo planes, used a single white anti collision white strobe on top of vertical stabalizer. I don't see how it can meet the coverage requirement per FAR.

Landing Lights not required day or night unless you use aircraft for hire. You can't use plane for hire. However landing lights are great and recommended. They are great during DAY. If you put a WIG WAG on them to make them alternate on and off it is very visible to anyone forward of your plane.

Beacon - Always RED. The old school ones long ago, rotate (mechanically with a motor) like an airport white/green beacon. Now they are are flashing. You do NOT want steady. A Beacon is NOT a substitute for Anti Collison. Most people do NOT put beacons on anymore. At the Airlines we use Bacons to announce engines are about to start or running. Once engines are shut down beacon is off and alerts ground crew to approach plane.

What you put in your plane is up to you, but familiarize yourself with AIM FAR for night light requirements.

REFS
https://www.gleim.com/aviation/faraim/?leafNum=91.209
https://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part23-1389-FAR.shtml
https://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part23-1391-FAR.shtml
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol....cfm/go/document.information/documentID/22569
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_20-30B.pdf
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim_html/

Last edited:
Red is much harder to see and does not appear as bright as a white beacon / strobe.

Your operating limitations should say something about night and or IFR operation needing to meet the requirements of 91.205. I would do the research to make sure any beacon / strobe installation would meet the requirements to fly 91.205 Night and or IFR else it does not need to be installed so I would save the weight and expense of a replacement if not operating Night and or IFR.

Thanks, but there is no 91.205 requirement for anti-collision lights for IFR. In fact, it's standard practice to turn off strobes in clouds.

There's still the question of red, meaning engine turning on the ground, and white for plain old anti-collision in flight.

White

To just answer your question… White

Happy to explain my opinion but you didn’t ask for the explanation, just the opinion. ;)

White. It is better seen by the human eye then red, and therefore will serve the anti-collision purpose better. The human eye is most sensitive in the white color frequencies, and sees white as much brighter then red. Also the quick flash of a strobe or LED is more attention getting then the red rotating beacon, or the pulsing of the old Aeroflash halogen lights. There is science behind those statements.

RED Strobe

Humans associate RED with danger or caution and movement (flashing) draws attention.

:cool:

Last edited:
Depends on what the mission of this light is. I have compliant nav and ACL for flight, but ALSO have a red beacon for ground ops. While this little LED unit probably makes me a touch more conspicuous in flight, the primary purpose is a warning to people on the ground. This light is capable of being turned off, but is normally left in the "GROUND" position so that it serves as a warning that the master switch is hot.

So what are you looking to do? Protect ground ops or be more conspicuous in flight?

Back