What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stratux : renew license

Most likely some sort of corruption on the software on the memory card, probably not a hardware issue. I would create a new micro SD card with the Stratux software. Alternately you could just reflash the existing card. http://stratux.me/

I have a friend with a Stratux that stops working on multiple occasions. Unfortunately I remote mounted it in a hard to reach area with external antennas so it has been a pain to acess. It seems the SD card rattles loose on occasion and needs to be removed and then re-inserted. Next time it happens I plan on putting a piece of Gorilla tape with a sliver of foam rubber underneath it over the card slot to securely clamp the card in place. I have installed some mobile wifi modem/routers like used by law enforcement or transit systems and they use this same practice but secure their SIM slots with a screw down cover with a foam rubber pad underneath. If that doesn't solve the issue it might be time to look at a Stratus 3.

Probably true

Most likely some sort of corruption on the software on the memory card, probably not a hardware issue. I would create a new micro SD card with the Stratux software. Alternately you could just reflash the existing card.

I did the below panel dive, to check. There are steady green and red lights. I have downloaded the software. Next I will purchase a new card.

Panel dive yoga

I have a friend with a Stratux that stops working on multiple occasions. Unfortunately I remote mounted it in a hard to reach area with external antennas so it has been a pain to acess. It seems the SD card rattles loose on occasion and needs to be removed and then re-inserted. Next time it happens I plan on putting a piece of Gorilla tape with a sliver of foam rubber underneath it over the card slot to securely clamp the card in place. I have installed some mobile wifi modem/routers like used by law enforcement or transit systems and they use this same practice but secure their SIM slots with a screw down cover with a foam rubber pad underneath. If that doesn't solve the issue it might be time to look at a Stratus 3.

Vibration occurred to me as well, but removing and inserting didn’t change the condition. Card was in place. My install is also less accessible than I’d like. A new mounting scheme would be an improvement.

Vibration occurred to me as well, but removing and inserting didn’t change the condition. Card was in place. My install is also less accessible than I’d like. A new mounting scheme would be an improvement.

If that is the case then constant card fiddling will make me suggest a Stratus 3 to replace it. I installed two DeltaPop blade antennas on the belly for "in", each tuned for the two frequencies involved (978Mhz and 1090Mhz). So if the owner does go for a Stratus 3 replacement I will only use one since it combines both frequencies on one antenna.

If interrogated has a special meaning to electrical engineers, then I’m probably misusing the term.

No, I think you're using the term correctly, but not clearly. Where did you see a message that says "renew license"? On what screen, and what were you doing to interact with that screen at the time? Were you using your tablet running some flight software that connects to the Stratux, or were you at home connected to it using ssh through a terminal session?

If that is the case then constant card fiddling will make me suggest a Stratus 3 to replace it. I installed two DeltaPop blade antennas on the belly for "in", each tuned for the two frequencies involved (978Mhz and 1090Mhz). So if the owner does go for a Stratus 3 replacement I will only use one since it combines both frequencies on one antenna.

He did say that re-seating the card didn't change anything, so "constant card fiddling" is hardly an issue here. 10? years later i've never had to jiggle a loose card in mine, nor have I corrupted one.

I do second the recommendation to connect to a fuselage-mounted antenna, but would recommend just installing one antenna to do it. A standard ModeC transponder antenna with a splitter to connect it to each SDR input on the Stratux, will work 10x better than the internal antennas and the minor loss on one frequency due to it not being "perfectly" tuned is unnoticeable.

Fiddle-free suggestion?

If that is the case then constant card fiddling will make me suggest a Stratus 3 to replace it

In my case, one fiddle, in something like three years of steady service; only fiddled for the purpose of a diagnostic technique. The card was found in place.

Doesn’t the Stratus 3 also have a micro SD card? If so, how would the “upgrade” be the fiddle-free solution?

Interaction how

Where did you see a message that says "renew license"? On what screen, and what were you doing to interact with that screen at the time? Were you using your tablet running some flight software that connects to the Stratux, or were you at home connected to it using ssh through a terminal session?

I was connecting to Stratux network, using my iPad. Not my normal interaction. My original purpose in posting here was to make sure there wasn’t some license I neglected to renew?

Web UI

When you are connected to the Stratux Wifi with your Ipad, have you ever accessed the Web UI?

In Safari, you just navigate to http://192.168.10.1/ and it will bring up a status webpage. It may help you determine what the source of your error message is. If this page won't load, that might be a hint that the system isn't booting properly (and might point to a corrupted image on the SD as others have mentioned).

Hopefully this is helpful to someone, the documentation kind of buries the fact that there is a status and configuration web page. For example, I changed my Wifi SSID so that I know I'm connecting to MY Stratux and not some stranger's device nearby.

Web user interface

When you are connected to the Stratux Wifi with your Ipad, have you ever accessed the Web UI?

Yes, years ago, when I was setting up.

In Safari, you just navigate to http://192.168.10.1/ and it will bring up a status webpage. It may help you determine what the source of your error message is. If this page won't load, that might be a hint that the system isn't booting properly (and might point to a corrupted image on the SD as others have mentioned).

Yes, when I started to diagnosis my problem I attempted to bring up 192.168…. , without joy. When I return to the airport, I will confirm that I entered the address correctly.

Last edited:
I was connecting to Stratux network, using my iPad. Not my normal interaction. My original purpose in posting here was to make sure there wasn’t some license I neglected to renew?

No, there's no license needed for the Stratux. It sounds like you saw a message from some other software on your iPad, that happened to come up at the same time you were trying to interact with the Stratux.

Back in business

Thank you for your suggestions. Corrupted software was going to be my first tactic. My Stratux is so old, that the software fit on on a 2GB card. So I had to buy a new SD card, to fit the current, larger, software. Downloaded and found my settings wiped. After correcting settings, traffic appears on iPad, but no joy on EFIS display. After running a utility, no device detected. After voicing some choice expletives, I tracked down a broken signal wire. Running between my home brewed serial converter and the EFIS. Hooray!

Back