What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPad mini mount

I have similar issue

I use a Nexus 7 tablet with AVARE for most of my travels, and with all my instrument (steam mostly) locations, switches and other things I don't want to cover up, I have learned to just use a simple knee pad and live with it. I have toyed with making a simple fold down shelf for the R/H side of the canopy/longeron area that I can adapt to hold my tablet, but I'm also interested in other ideas.

Ram also can be used with a suction cup mount.

I have a complete setup available, PM if interested.

Many Ways

There are many ways to accomplish getting the base secured. This is in my -6, so I know space is even more limited in the -4, but this is what I did.

I didn't really have any room on my panel to put the ball mount permanently, so I used the RAM Yoke Clamp and clamped it to the back side of my carb heat bowden cable (they have a probably 3/4" "cylinder" on the backside where the guts are). The cable cylinder seems strong, but I don't crank it down it gorilla style just in case it could be crushed. I then used the articulating arm to bring it just in front of my panel, and use their "EZ-Roll'r'" mount for an iPad mini.

I like the setup, and any type of larger iPad really is too big in our planes (except you -10 and -14 guys with all your luxurious cabin space). Hopefully this gives you some ideas:
rammountpic.jpg
rammountpic2.jpg
rammountpic3.jpg

I have used a Ram iPad mount for years and it worked well, what I did not like is the protective case must be removed from the iPad each time it was placed in the mount.
When the new iPad mini 6th gen was introduced, I placed an order and looked around for a mount sized to the new device. I found the Pivot T21A had some neat features allowing the included protective case to be used both in and out of the mount and a latch mechanism to quickly remove the iPad from the mount. I found the mount to be very well constructed. https://flyboys.com/collections/pivot-cases/products/pivot-t21a

Entering the site from steveo1kinevo youtube channel gets you a 15% discount off the products https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE1Gzo6KrWE

I have no connections to these websites, just a happy user.

I have a Mini that I use in the RV-3 and the little jet, and honestly, i just let it sit on my leg. The cockpits are small enough that it doesn’t; really go anywhere, and if I have a problem with glare, or the print is small enough that I need to get it closer to read, I don’t have to detach it from a mount - or even a strap.

Not for everyone, but works for me….

Paul

Ram X Grip for all tablets

Been using on mini for 4 years, various ways to attach the x grip to plane, i use ball mount. Will fit WITH PROTECTIVE CASE ATTACHED , Otterbox for me.

Mygoflight

I would at least check mygoflight.com and see if they might have what you need. I have many of their mounts..they are all aluminum, very slick, and can be transferred (or removed) from the cockpit as needed. It's a very high quality product, that, in my opinion, look and works much better than the bulky, plastic RAM mounts. I've had both, and I feel the Mygoflight is far superior..but of course, get out your wallet.....YMMV.

Homebuilt

As a fun weekend project, I fab’d my own. Just took some scrap aluminum sheet, .060, riveted on a couple of appropriately spaced pieces of scrap U channel to hold the mini. Then a simple bracket to hang the thing from the glare shield with a couple of screws. I then added a leg to the back which rests back against my existing panel to stabilize the mount.
Works well for me.
Use your imagination and have fun.
Jim

RAM

I like the Ram mounts but if you have a new iPad Mini 6 be prepared to wait. Here's what they told me a few days ago.

>>>>>>>
Hello, Mike,

Thanks for writing to us at RAM. We're planning on releasing that new cradle RAM-HOL-AP36U in June. Please click "notify me" on that page on our site and we'll send email when it's ready to order. Thanks.

Brian P | Customer Service
National Products, Inc | RAM Mounts
8410 Dallas Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
rammount.com

I have a Mini that I use in the RV-3 and the little jet, and honestly, i just let it sit on my leg. The cockpits are small enough that it doesn’t; really go anywhere, and if I have a problem with glare, or the print is small enough that I need to get it closer to read, I don’t have to detach it from a mount - or even a strap.

Not for everyone, but works for me….

Paul

I usually velcro mine to my knee board. Sometimes I dont.
I can tell you it can go somewhere though. I hit some turb flying my RV4 flying through the Colorado Rockies and mine
Levitated and hit my face...
Cm

As I upgraded from the mini4 to the mini6, I needed a new mount. The Rammou t was not available when I got the 6 so I designed one on Tinkercad. Holes fit mini4 EZRoll mount holes locations. I can post the STL on Thingsverse if there is interest.

Scosche MagicMount

I have been using the Schsche MagicMount Dash Pro in my -4. I've been surprised with how solidly it holds. I'm not an aerobatic pilot, so I can't comment on how it handles aerobatics, but it handles pretty rough turbulence just fine. I've been thrown against my harness hard enough to have my headset tap the canopy without knocking the iPad loose. It's never come loose accidentally - well except when I've knocked it with a knee when entering or egressing.

I love how easy it is to pop the iPad onto or off of the mount. When I want a closer look at the device I just grab it then pop it back onto the mount. I have two of the mounts attached to my panel, one for the iPad Mini and one for occasional use with my iPhone.

The mount is held to the panel with adhesive and the plate on the back of the device is held on with adhesive, either directly on the iPad as on my Mini 3, or on the exterior of a case as on my current Mini 6. I easily removed the plate from my Mini 3 with some fishing line.

One thing to keep in mind is the plate on the back of the iPad or iPhone is just a steel plate, but it will interfere with wireless charging on the iPhone. You can learn more about wireless charging options on the Scosche site. Sadly, the iPad Mini doesn't support wireless charging.

The lack of a solid connection to the iPad will mean this mount not suitable for everyone, but it works great for me.

iPad_mount-small.jpg

iPad-small.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and photos. Don’t have room on the panel for the ball mount. Any suggestions on where/how to attach a ball mount on the right side of the cockpit?

At first I used a Steve Melton iPad mini mount attached to a bracket bolted to the behind panel cross brace (pic #1). It bounced a little too much and sometimes had glare problems, so I bought an articulating mount at Walmart and mounted it to the tunnel cover. That one worked much better and no glare (pic #2).

F11F0FA7-76CC-4C8B-903B-8D2422EDF576.jpg

6D48AE1B-6310-42E9-A5C8-F502097996EC.jpg

When I took these pictures I hadn’t figured out the orientation issue yet, so pic #2 is upside down, obviously. Live and learn.

I have RAM mounts for my iPad Pro 13, iPad Pro 11, and iPad Mini 6. As mentioned, the RAM mount for the iPad Mini 6 is inexplicably delayed. I've been on their "notify me" list for months. It's unusual since these aftermarket companies get early prototypes of new Apple stuff so that they can have covers and keyboards available for order on the day those iPads go on the market.

I use a suction cup mount with articulating arm on a blank spot on my panel, although I use the new Mini 6 on a kneeboard. I have suction-cupped the things to the canopy, which works fine on both my RV-9A and the Cessna's that I fly. I find the Mini to be too constraining relative to size and see the iPad Pro 11 as the optimal size. I use it for flight routinely, alternating the screen between Foreflight and remote large scale input for my GPS navigator FMS (Avidyne IFD440).

The RAM mounts are excellent. Very solid, little or no jiggling, and readily reachable. I use a non-glare screen protector which does a great job of keeping glare from being an issue.

I have suction-cupped the things to the canopy, which works fine on both my RV-9A and the Cessna's that I fly.

So the suction cup mounts really do hold well? I've been hesitant to use them in my RV6 because I've worried that over time the continual flexing (albeit likely minimal) of the plexi where the suction mount is attached - might cause the plexi to crack. I'm hoping that is an unwarranted worry.

Alternatively I was thinking of mounting a RAM ball socket mount on the support structure along the left side of the cockpit (see pics). Has anyone done used that approach (although not all RVs have that spot)?

Attachments

• 20220906_152425.jpg
    20220906_152425.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 51yScTucTfL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    51yScTucTfL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 63
I still use a nexus 7, and I double sticky taped a RAM ball directly to the back of it. The other ball is on the frame shared with the spar, about 3 inches below the side rail. I have like a 4 or 5 inch RAM arm between the 2 balls. It works great.

The other ball is on the frame shared with the spar, about 3 inches below the side rail. I have like a 4 or 5 inch RAM arm between the 2 balls. It works great.
Thanks for info - I'm trying to picture your set-up in my mind. Would love to see a pic if you have one handy.

Dave I used the same spot for ball mount, works fine.
That's good to hear! I just need to be careful when drilling the mounting holes because the headphone wires run through that area. :(
Or maybe I can find an amazingly strong double-sided adhesive to use instead of the screws.

That's good to hear! I just need to be careful when drilling the mounting holes because the headphone wires run through that area. :(
Or maybe I can find an amazingly strong double-sided adhesive to use instead of the screws.

I did not want to drill that area either. I made what I would call a C-clamp out of wood, but it doesn't actually squeeze the frame, it is just super close and it is actually double sticky taped to the frame. The ram ball is then mounted to the wood. It has been holding well there for 6 years now. I am looking for a pic.

I can get a better pic eventually if you are interested. Never had an issue with it in this spot, never got in the way, and it is pretty close to my face.

edit...What brand sticky tape: Probably 3M, thin foam sticky on both sides, whatever the hardware store had.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• padpic3.JPG
    padpic3.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 149
  • padpic2.JPG
    padpic2.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
I can get a better pic eventually if you are interested. Never had an issue with it in this spot, never got in the way, and it is pretty close to my face.

edit...What brand sticky tape: Probably 3M, thin foam sticky on both sides, whatever the hardware store had.
Thanks for the pics and mounting tape info!

Back