What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UGL (Ultimate Gust Lock)

I'm quite happy with it - it saved my airplane in several ugly storms, including one in which other airplanes were damaged and mine was not. The big storm in Oshkosh a couple years ago BENT my ASA UGL, but it did not release and the control surfaces held undamaged. ASA replaced it free.

Thank you Greg. I’ve found the ASA folks to be very good when it comes to customer service, and your experience reinforces that.

I have one and have used it a handful of times. When installed, it seems to work well at holding the control surfaces securely, which of course what it's designed to do.

I saw a mod on the VAF where someone added some delrin to the part that goes on the rudder pedals, and I think I will do that, someday.

Getting it installed is not that easy, at least for me. I think I just need to invest 30 mins in the hangar and figure it out, finally. I keep forgetting to do this, and then I'm trying to make it work just after landing and it's not the best time to try to figure out something new.

I had to drill another hole, at least I think I did, to find a better fit. I've got an RV-8 with the adjustable rudder pedals, so that might be a factor.

I need to make a case or some protection for it - it's not something I want bouncing around the cockpit, so I store it in the front baggage compartment. The problem is that the best time to install it is right after landing while still in the cockpit - but it's up front. Then I forget, and realize that I need to install it right after I've put the cover on. Duh! Perhaps a clip for the back of the seat to hold it.

The quality of the build and sturdiness are first rate. The concept is excellent - I think holding the control surfaces securely using the cockpit controls - rudder pedals and stick - have to be the safest way to protect your aircraft in a high-wind situation.

As far as safety, in the RV-8 at least, there is no way you can accidentally take off with this control lock in place. That's not a challenge, for any id**ts reading this! :D

I have one and it works ok. If the rudder gets rocked back and forth the metal forks can pop off the rudder pedals and now the rudder is free. It would take high wind for this to take place but I was able to make it pop off when testing it. I use it while getting fuel or while getting lunch when I know the forecast winds and the airplane is parked short term. Personally I don't trust it over night or when high winds are present. The only other gripe is the metal forks scratch the tube steel they contact on the -10. I also has to do some Dremel work on the pedals to get the forks to fit properly.

I picked up an UGL recently and installed it for the first time yesterday. I had read about the requirement for it to be tight. Once tight, it did a great job securing the rudder and elevator. However I found that I could move the stick laterally about 5 inches (with a reasonable amount of force). I’m not sure whether that’s sufficient to protect the ailerons or not. Any comments?

I picked up an UGL recently and installed it for the first time yesterday. I had read about the requirement for it to be tight. Once tight, it did a great job securing the rudder and elevator. However I found that I could move the stick laterally about 5 inches (with a reasonable amount of force). I’m not sure whether that’s sufficient to protect the ailerons or not. Any comments?

I've noted the same issue and found that although it does allow side-to-side stick movement, it would take a LOT of force to be able to hit the stops. I do confess however that last time I parked the thing outised in windy conditions, I "aided" the UGL with a simple bungee cord. I did sleep better that night.

Here’s what I’m thinking……. I ordered the UGL today. I’ll use it as the primary gust lock on a nice day, but supplement it with an external lock for my ailerons on a not so nice day. I’m also not convinced with how robust the roll axis is protected. The external aileron lock is the easiest one to implement. When I’m parked on a ramp on a windy day, or overnight at a location outside, I’ll also install the external aileron lock. I think the other two axis’ will be held securely with the UGL.

Here’s what I’m thinking……. I ordered the UGL today. I’ll use it as the primary gust lock on a nice day, but supplement it with an external lock for my ailerons on a not so nice day. I’m also not convinced with how robust the roll axis is protected. The external aileron lock is the easiest one to implement. When I’m parked on a ramp on a windy day, or overnight at a location outside, I’ll also install the external aileron lock. I think the other two axis’ will be held securely with the UGL.

I think this is a good plan. The one thing I would add is a rudder counterbalance lock if your airplane has the counterbalance. I think the UGL works fine on the rudder up to a point where you approach the strength limits of the rudder in torsion. Pinning it at the top and with the UGL will spread that force over two locations. You'd only need the second lock in situations where you expect high winds.

Last edited:

Nothing wrong with belt and suspenders.

I'm glad someone started this thread. Has anyone gotten this to work well on an RV7 with large grips? I have CS-8 style grips and the end of the UGL does not fit over the grip. I've set it up so that it's just below the grip but it doesn't seem to get that tensioned "bend" that's described in the ASA video. It mostly works but it seems like it should be a little more secure. I think the angle isn't correct if it gets too low on the stick.

I'm glad someone started this thread. Has anyone gotten this to work well on an RV7 with large grips? I have CS-8 style grips and the end of the UGL does not fit over the grip. I've set it up so that it's just below the grip but it doesn't seem to get that tensioned "bend" that's described in the ASA video. It mostly works but it seems like it should be a little more secure. I think the angle isn't correct if it gets too low on the stick.

I think it should be attached just under the grip, as shown in this video:

https://youtu.be/FFwk_RZVqV8?t=564

Anti-Splat UGL.png

Yeah, I don’t think the grip plays in a role in setting the thing up. I put mine on the stick right below the grip then push the pin in to secure it.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll play with it some more. I do place it under the grip but it doesn't get the "spring action" shown in the demo video, which makes me worried that it may be just loose enough to slip off the pedals in a strong wind.

Back