What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Traffic on GRT WS from UAvionics Echo?

Pilotjim77

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if it is possible to display traffic on a GRT WS display with the traffic input coming from a uAvionics Echo ADSB receiver? I currently display traffic on my IPad but would like the option.

Does anyone know if it is possible to display traffic on a GRT WS display with the traffic input coming from a uAvionics Echo ADSB receiver? I currently display traffic on my IPad but would like the option.

I used a ESP32 and wrote some code to read the wifi and blast it out the serial port, just as a proof of concept. Worked great for ADS-B. The challenge is that I want the FLARM from the SE2 and due to their "licensing" it only works on the ipad.

I think the best solution for the GRT in the USA is to use their ADS-B In receiver, which is pretty cheap and I hear works quite well.

https://grtavionics.com/product/discovery-dual-band-ads-b-receiver/

Yes, it is.

I've wired the Echo to one of my GRT WS via one of the 6 serial ports and it displays traffic just fine.

I don't have the documentation near me at the moment, but recall having to refer to both company's instructions to make sure I got it right.

I did use GRT's Safe-Fly GPS with this installation. That may have made the installation work well.

Regards,
Rob

Last edited:
Run over RS 232 from Echo UAT

Bring the data from the Uavionics Echo at a 115200 baud rate. The traffic is going to be in GDL 90 format leaving the Echo. GRT calls it ADSB coming in. Traffic and weather display great!

High speed serial ports on the WS

There are several considerations when Planning which serial ports to use for the High Speed ADSB traffic and Weather into the WS.

Using Serial port #2 as the High Speed is easiest if you are unsure about the internal modules that might be on Serial Port #1.

From the Horizon HX-HS-WS install manual on the website. https://grtavionics.com/product/horizon-ws-efis/

"Chapter 9 EQUIPMENT INTERCONNECT DETAILS
9.1 Serial Ports
9.1.1 Number
The GRT Horizon HS & WS have 6 serial ports. Serial Port 1 and Serial Port 2 are High Speed. "

9.1.4 Internal & External ARINC & GPS Modules
Each HS or WS Horizon DU can have at most one internal module installed, ARINC or GPS. The internal module is connected to Serial Port 1. If the internal
module is ARINC, the ARINC module will communicate with the Horizon and also provide a Serial port for other uses. This serial port will be degraded to low
speed. If the internal module is a GPS, Serial Port 1 is not available for other use.

9.1.5 XM Weather
"In HS or WS Horizon DUs, the GRT XM Weather Processor must be connected to a high speed serial port (1 or 2). If a DU has no internal module installed, either serial port may be used. If an internal module is installed, the GRT XM Weather Processor must be connected to Serial Port 2. In a dual display system,
if you desire to display weather on both DUs, the output from the XM Weather Module must be connected to a high speed serial port IN on both displays since
weather data cannot be transmitted on the Inter-Display Link."

There are several considerations when Planning which serial ports to use for the High Speed ADSB traffic and Weather into the WS.

Using Serial port #2 as the High Speed is easiest if you are unsure about the internal modules that might be on Serial Port #1.

From the Horizon HX-HS-WS install manual on the website. https://grtavionics.com/product/horizon-ws-efis/

"Chapter 9 EQUIPMENT INTERCONNECT DETAILS
9.1 Serial Ports
9.1.1 Number
The GRT Horizon HS & WS have 6 serial ports. Serial Port 1 and Serial Port 2 are High Speed. "

9.1.4 Internal & External ARINC & GPS Modules
Each HS or WS Horizon DU can have at most one internal module installed, ARINC or GPS. The internal module is connected to Serial Port 1. If the internal
module is ARINC, the ARINC module will communicate with the Horizon and also provide a Serial port for other uses. This serial port will be degraded to low
speed. If the internal module is a GPS, Serial Port 1 is not available for other use.

9.1.5 XM Weather
"In HS or WS Horizon DUs, the GRT XM Weather Processor must be connected to a high speed serial port (1 or 2). If a DU has no internal module installed, either serial port may be used. If an internal module is installed, the GRT XM Weather Processor must be connected to Serial Port 2. In a dual display system,
if you desire to display weather on both DUs, the output from the XM Weather Module must be connected to a high speed serial port IN on both displays since
weather data cannot be transmitted on the Inter-Display Link."

Revisiting this post. The cable descriptions on GRT's website are calling for Serial port 2 to be used for AHRS connections. Does the AHRS connection require a high speed port?

Jim,

I use serial Port 4 (Pin 21 In / Pin 5 Out) at 19,200 baud to connect my WS EFIS to my AHRS and it works fine. As I recall, I moved my AHRS wire to serial port 4 from serial port 2 when I installed XM Wx years ago so the Wx data could use the high speed port. Subsequently, I removed the XM Wx and installed the uAvionix Echo ADS-B data line on Serial 2. This is running at at 115,200.

Hope this helps,
Rob

Jim,

I use serial Port 4 (Pin 21 In / Pin 5 Out) at 19,200 baud to connect my WS EFIS to my AHRS and it works fine. As I recall, I moved my AHRS wire to serial port 4 from serial port 2 when I installed XM Wx years ago so the Wx data could use the high speed port. Subsequently, I removed the XM Wx and installed the uAvionix Echo ADS-B data line on Serial 2. This is running at at 115,200.

Hope this helps,
Rob

Rob,

Yes, that does help. Thank you.

Back