What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pairing Skyview with a G3X

rv6ehguy

Well Known Member
Good day everyone.
I purchased a 10" Skyview this past Oshkosh and I was thinking of backing it up with a Garmin G3X. I originally wanted to install a second 7" Skyview with another ADHRS and a Garmin 696 but I'm running out of panel space. Then I thought why not replace the 696 and the 7" Skyview with a G3X. I am going to run the autopilot and engine monitor with the 10" Skyview and basically use the G3X as a backup instrument display as well as a GPS. You can't beat the display of the Skyview and I think a dual screen G3X is a bit small. Does anyone see any issues or complications here? Any input welcomed.
John V.
RV6A QB 80%

No complications as long as you plan to keep the two systems separate. Do not expect them to share much information.

I think I read somewhere that the next release on the Skyview is gonna add NMEA output so you might be able to share simple position data to the G3X but look into that yourself to be sure.

You mean like this:
293963_239980719359947_175891939102159_902951_731502310_n.jpg

Works great!

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited:
Hi John,

is it important to have to option to have the map fullscreen on the G3X? I'm not sure if it changed - some thime ago you couldn't do that with a single screen system (which this is - it doesn't know the Skyview is there).

I would like to know if this is an option as well (maybe Matt or Stein can clarify). A specific example would be to have a single screen G3X system, using a GDU 375 – can you display the map/weather/traffic/approach plates full screen when desired?

A single GDU 370/375 display unit can be used as a standalone MFD with full-screen map, navigation, weather, charts, etc. This is considered to be a standalone use of the GDU 37x unit only and not a full G3X system. If you add the GSU 73 ADAHRS/EIS unit and associated peripherals, you now have a single-screen G3X system. In this embodiment, it is not possible to hide the required aircraft flight instruments, therefore a single-screen G3X system will always operate in a split-screen layout.

P.S. Not sure I've ever seen a panel where the "backup" navigator had more capability than the "primary", but hey, it's your airplane. :)

mcb

Last edited:
Back