What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh Notam 2022

OSH NOTAM

The Oshkosh Notam is out.

If you plan on flying in please read and understand it.

https://www.eaa.org/-/media/Files/A...otice-AirVenture-Flight-Procedures-NOTAM.ashx

This will be my 34th year volunteering at OSH. The phrase I seem to use the most: "Didn't you read the NOTAM?" I carry a copy with me and when they say "That wasn't in there!" I can pull out my copy and show them.

There are WEEKS until convention. PLENTY of time to download it, print it out and read it. The approach and departure maps are a must to know as well, especially if you have not flown there too many times. With all the times I have flown in, the approach maps sit on my knee board and are highlighted. All frequencies you need are right there.

PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND THIS VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Save yourself from having "That Conversation" with me or another volunteer.....

Oh: and if you want to know what it is like to bring pilots into the World's Greatest Flying Event, VOLUNTEER! We can always use another helpful hand....!

EAA usually schedules an Oshkosh Arrival webinar that goes over the NOTICE (no longer a NOTAM?) in great detail. Highly recommended for anyone flying in, and it is usually available after the presentation date on demand.

HOWEVER, I'm sure the fine FAA folks dealing with the Fisk Arrival will find a way to not follow it, or come up with a new undocumented waypoint to steer people towards.
For example, last year telling people to enter the arrival at "Portage" instead of Endeavor Bridge, or in previous years telling people over the railroad tracks to "turn left and try again", instead of invoking the hold procedures in the document (Fond-du-Lac, Green Lake and Rush Lake) when there was a stoppage or slowdown on arrivals.
The Fisk Arrival on Sunday afternoon can be the scariest flying you will ever experience. If you are a first timer, please don't just wander in during the peak traffic flow without a plan A, B, C and D! Plan to divert. Plan to hold for hours. Plan to spend the night somewhere else, because it just might happen. And yes, I've done all 3 of those in 5 visits to Airventure.

Windshield Signs

Here is a file I made for your convenience with windshield signs. Just print the pages you need.

Attachments

• KOSH windshield signs.pdf
    9.5 KB · Views: 105
HOWEVER, I'm sure the fine FAA folks dealing with the Fisk Arrival will find a way to not follow it, or come up with a new undocumented waypoint to steer people towards.
For example, last year telling people to enter the arrival at "Portage" instead of Endeavor Bridge, or in previous years telling people over the railroad tracks to "turn left and try again", instead of invoking the hold procedures in the document (Fond-du-Lac, Green Lake and Rush Lake) when there was a stoppage or slowdown on arrivals.
The Fisk Arrival on Sunday afternoon can be the scariest flying you will ever experience. If you are a first timer, please don't just wander in during the peak traffic flow without a plan A, B, C and D! Plan to divert. Plan to hold for hours. Plan to spend the night somewhere else, because it just might happen. And yes, I've done all 3 of those in 5 visits to Airventure.

This is why a few years ago I started flying only IFR into OSH and ditched the VFR arrival altogether. Just tired of the shenanigan's. I still study the entire "NOTICE" (not calling it a NOTAM is gonna be a hard habit to break) and the VFR arrival, just in case.

This is why a few years ago I started flying only IFR into OSH and ditched the VFR arrival altogether. Just tired of the shenanigan's. I still study the entire "NOTICE" (not calling it a NOTAM is gonna be a hard habit to break) and the VFR arrival, just in case.

IFR sounds better than the VFR arrival procedure, but when things got crazy a couple of years ago, we watched as IFR traffic was just dumped into the VFR beehive on final for 27/base for 18. Scary!

IFR sounds better than the VFR arrival procedure, but when things got crazy a couple of years ago, we watched as IFR traffic was just dumped into the VFR beehive on final for 27/base for 18. Scary!

That I can deal with because you're shooting the approach and if it's VMC you can see the traffic crossing in front of you on base. It's mile after mile of slogging through the VFR arrival when its busy that I abhor.

OSH arrivals and etc.............

I work very closely with the "fine FAA folks" that are in the tower and on the ground including the Fisk arrival, but specifically the 3.5 miles of the Papa Taxiway that goes from Airshow Center to the fence at the South end of the airport property (the Vintage area). We also help with North Papa that ends at the Warbird area. They are the finest group of people you would ever encounter in such a HIGH VOLUME situation. There is at least a 3 year waiting list to work this convention in the tower and Fisk arrival and, yes, they are all VOLUNTEERS as well.

Do things occasionally not go according to "published plan"? Absolutely. Their very difficult job is to get traffic at the BUSIEST AIRPORT IN THE UNITED STATES in safely. (We get reports at our morning meetings with how we compare to O'Hare traffic...!) The crew will shoot from the hip if necessary to make things work. If the published landmarks are not working for the volume, they will have you do something else. But they are highly trained professionals and do an amazing job in a very tense and fast-moving situation. While you are at OSH, monitor the frequency for arrivals during convention (AND KEEP YOUR HAND AWAY FROM THE TRANSMIT BUTTON) and you will be amazed at what they do. Do airplanes occasionally "trade paint"? Yes: but that is such an infrequent occurrence which is a miracle considering.

Bottom line: come prepared for anything even if it is not "published", as you always should if you are a pilot. ("Hey: this storm wasn't in the weather briefing. I guess we'll just keep going.....") In all the years I have worked OSH we try to come prepared for ANYTHING that might happen. But are still occasionally surprised....but we go with the flow and make it work! Every year is different. And can change from morning to afternoon....or from 8am to 9am..... On the ground we will also occasionally have you do things that are not "published". Come prepared for anything........

And in all the years I have flown in, have encountered some amazing things happening in a very dynamic situation........ Keep your eyes out of the cockpit and your head on a swivel. Passengers should also be looking. And be prepared for instructions you may not have seen "published".....

Ground flow signs!!!!

Great idea! THANKS! We ground crew rely heavily on those signs to know where you want to be. A hastily-made pencil sign on notebook paper is NOT adequate!! Help us help you get to where you are going!:D:D:D

The VFR waypoints are defined by lat long, but they are given as a number, for example, (VPENV= 434503N/892856W). My GNC355 takes that as N 43 deg, 45.03 min , W089 deg 28.56 min. Is that correct? Close enough?

Jim Butcher

The VFR waypoints are defined by lat long, but they are given as a number, for example, (VPENV= 434503N/892856W). My GNC355 takes that as N 43 deg, 45.03 min , W089 deg 28.56 min. Is that correct? Close enough?

Jim Butcher

Those seem to be in the Decimal Degrees (DD.dd) format. In the ForeFlight Web screenshot below, ForeFlight Web is set to use the decimal-degree format and the coordinates given in the Oshkosh Notice overlay the VFR reporting points (except RIPON seems to be off a smidge).

i-Wc9jD24-L.jpg

But they should be in the navigation database by their letter identifiers, as shown in the ForeFlight Web screenshot below.

i-457CndL-L.jpg

Last edited:
they even show up in SkyDemon :D

Attachments

• 7787B692-68D5-410C-8E3E-5409C738B515.jpeg
    7787B692-68D5-410C-8E3E-5409C738B515.jpeg
    490 KB · Views: 79
2021 video

Here's the video from last year, seems like the procedure is very similar this year. Those reporting points are very easy to see without having to resort to the EFB, from what they show in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rubPbTVH7RU

Basically stay south of the lakes, listen on the radio, and keep an eye out for other traffic.

Another good OSH video from a guy named Martin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3hGAy53uwY

Last edited:
But they should be in the navigation database by their letter identifiers, as shown in the ForeFlight Web screenshot below.

i-457CndL-L.jpg

I never have liked these reporting points are provided on the GPS. Makes lots of people looking at their screen vs looking outside 100% of the time. It is a VFR approach. Maybe it does keep a few from getting too far off coarse.
Also wonder how many people fly the OSH VFR arrival on autopilot.

Also wonder how many people fly the OSH VFR arrival on autopilot.

It would be awesome if folks practiced enough to hand fly the approach, but they don't so I have no problem with anyone using autopilot if it keeps them on airspeed, altitude, and their eyes out of the cockpit. Someone might counter argue that they have no place being there if they can't safely maintain 1800 and 90 while navigating and avoiding traffic, but my argument is they are gonna come anyway so might as well use all the tools in the tool kit.

It would be awesome if folks practiced enough to hand fly the approach, but they don't so I have no problem with anyone using autopilot if it keeps them on airspeed, altitude, and their eyes out of the cockpit. Someone might counter argue that they have no place being there if they can't safely maintain 1800 and 90 while navigating and avoiding traffic, but my argument is they are gonna come anyway so might as well use all the tools in the tool kit.

I would think that AP usage can be dangerous in the conga line. Last year, in the 10, I had to join at Portage and got stuck behind someone that couldn't or wouldn't fly above a constantly varying 75-80 knots (by RIPON there must have been a 5 mile gap in front of him). It was a CONSTANT dance with the throttle and elevator to manage that situation. If the AP was fighting to keep a constant altitude, that can get dangerous REALLY fast when so close to stall speed. Using the elevator to adjust airspeed is critical in that situation. I would NOT recommend AP usage in that situation, unless the pilot understands the need to watch the IAS like a hawk and be quick on the throttle. That also would require practice, as pilots are rarely in that situation (AP pulling them into a stall). Similar to dealing with rotors near the rockies. First time it happened I couldn't believe that I could go from 160 kts to 80 kts that fast.

Each year before OSH, I go out and fly at 80 knots at a constant altitude for an hour. It is a skill that is rarely used and I think anyone who goes to OSH on Sunday without doing it is NUTS. It would be nice if everyone flew the line at 90 knots, but my experience is that it is the exception instead of the rule. Just too many cub style planes where 70-80 knots is very comfortable. I am guessing the mindset is why burn all that extra gas just so the stupid RV behind me doesn't complain?

Larry

Last edited:
I would think that AP usage can be dangerous in the conga line. Last year I had to join at Portage and got stuck behind someone that couldn't or wouldn't fly above 75-80 knots (by RIPON there must have been a 5 mile gap in front of him). It was a CONSTANT dance with the throttle to manage that situation. If the AP was fighting to keep a constant altitude, that can get dangerous REALLY fast when so close to stall speed. Using the elevator to adjust airspeed is critical in that situation

There's a time and place for sure and I wouldn't advocate if it's a real cluster. It's a tool, not a crutch, just like GPS. If it can be used appropriately , then I don't have an issue with its use. If you turn it on and simply barrel around oblivious then you are just another hazard that's as bad or worse then the guys how can can't hold their airspeed and altitude on their own or fly with their head down chasing needles.

It's these kind of issues that has had me eschew the VFR arrival for IFR the past few years. IMO the IFR arrival is simply less hazardous when it gets busy.

Just keep your eyes outside, the Hun is in the sun!

Last year as I entered Green Lake hold and was starting the turn to the NW, ATC called me out by N# from ADSB to keep coming to Ripon Now.

As Another plane was coming south from east of the NE corner of the hold, wrong way, went belly up to me and cut me off within 12 in N# readable range.

I got to a half mile behind him and just followed the norms. ATC saw my crazy Ivan and it made more sense to them when he was aheadof me at Ripon.

I met Van himself a few years earlier after the Sunday Rwy 9 arrival mess, which he was in, he gave us a ride in his golfcart around the horn from the north hotel gate escape to civilization. Doesn't matter who you are, the other guy botching it WILL be there if you are heads down and inside.

. . .ATC saw my crazy Ivan and it made more sense to them when he was ahead of me at Ripon.

Could it be there is another “Mote in God’s Eye” fan? Or, I suppose, more like a “Hunt For Red October” fan? Either way, I love it!

Back