What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help! My Drill Quit!

f14av8r

Well Known Member
My incredibly nice and reliable air drill gave me trouble today. The trigger doesn't work properly. I can get the drill to work if I hold the trigger down and connect the air but, if I release the trigger, pulling it again doesn't spin the drill! It's a Souix DR-1412. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Randy

Don't think the trigger is the problem

Randy,
Sounds like the main rotor in the drill needs to be cleaned and lubricated. A couple of things you can do until this. Try increasing psi or with the trigger depressed, manually turn the chuck until the air engages the rotor

DIY Repair?

Is this something I should try and tear apart myself? I looked on the Souix website but couldn't find any servicing information other than an illustrated parts breakdown.

Is this something I should try and tear apart myself? I looked on the Souix website but couldn't find any servicing information other than an illustrated parts breakdown.

I have a Rodac air drill purchased in 1974. When it was used all day, I would oil it daily with a drop, but once a week flood oil in it until it came through clean, not darkened. It has no issues since new. It will fog the place unless you cover the outlet with a cloth to catch the oil. As always, YMMV.

If "cleaning" does not help, then dissemble and repair.

Edit: Oil is Marvel mystery oil

Last edited:
Brown Tool can repair it if you can't get it working. I have several Sioux drills, and the one I use the most, your model, has lasted over ten years and thousands of holes with a drop of oil every once in a while.

Keep that drill. It is 3600rpm better.

Sioux Drill Manual

Hi Randy,

I just sent you an email. I have a Sioux manual I can send to you but it will not attach to the VAF email system. We have very little problems with the new Sioux drills in our tool kits, but having worked on them before I would not recommend taking it apart.

Isham
www.PlaneTools.com

Same problem here...

I had the exact same problem with my Sioux – it is one very important o-ring, not too difficult to replace – Here is an excerpt from my build log where I documented what I did. I used a #83 size o-ring – I picked it up at the Lowe’s Aviation and garden supply…or was it Home Depot aviation and garden supply? If you need clarification, let me know.

...from my kitlog - 1/14/2016... http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...ear&project=2191&category=0&log=221135&row=14

I have had a bit of an ongoing issue with my beloved Sioux drill. It works flawlessly for long periods of time (4-6 months) and then it doesn't work. It's like the air pressure doesn't get to where it needs to be to spin the drill...just nothing. Unless you unplug the air hose, pull the trigger, and then reinsert the air hose - then it would work - at full speed - untill you released the trigger, then nothing again.

Bob fixed the inoperable drill one time when he was in town by flipping the o-ring over and reinstalling it. I tried that too but that little o-ring is really hard to get to at the bottom of the narrow handle shaft and I couldn't seem to get to it - luckily, when I put it back together - it magically started working again.

I also took it to Avery once to have him look at it when it stopped working and he was stumped too. After fiddling with the thing for a few minutes and switching out the spring, the impellor and some other parts from a working sioux drill that he had - my drill still wouldn't work. Then all of the sudden, it was working...so I left it alone again until today it stopped working again.

There is an o-ring in the handle assembly that a valve sits on, this valve looks like a small impellor and it has a shaft that runs up the middle if the impellor and contacts the trigger. As you pull the trigger, the shaft causes the valve to lean slightly and open up the air flow which spins the drill. big pull = large opening, fast drill speed whereas a small/slight pull = small opening in the valve and the drill goes very slowly.

The one common denominator seemed the be that o-ring in the handle assembly. I had even purchased a box of replacement o-rings - but I just couldn't seem to get that little sucker out of there as it sits down in a channel and it's very hard to get the pry tool in there and get a grip on the rubber o-ring and lift it out. I even asked Bob what the trick was and he said that he just used my pry tools and got it out...

So when the drill quit today, I was determined to fix it. I worked and worked and finally got that o-ring out of there with the 45 degree pry tool. Now for the also-hard part of putting that o-ring down in the bottom of the handle, and stretching it down into the channel. I could get it to seat on one side, but then the other side would pop in, popping the first side out. There isn't room to put a bunch of tools down in there (it's narrow, remember) so I devised a way to keep the o-ring seated in the channel by using a long, thin piece of stainless steel that I cut from my remaining sheet.

With the stainless steel tab, I was able to hold the one side of the o-ring in the channel and then with a flat head screwdriver, I could stretch and seat the other side - and the o-ring popped right in place! I put the drill back together and it works great again! This is my notes for when I have to fix that drill again... :)

Last edited:
Thanks Jim

Wow, what a great write-up. It sounds really hard though but I love taking stuff apart. A new drill is only a couple of hundred clams so, if I screw it up, it isn't the end of days!

Do you have a oil lubricator in your air line ? Great way to keep oil mist in all your tools... Just remember to put a T before the oil lubricator so you can have a separate air feed - and a separate hose for your paint gun ..

Oil and paint is not a good mix :)

Back