What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

suggestions for location of remote transponder

rv6ehguy

Well Known Member
Good evening RVators,
Has anyone installed a Garmin GTX 23ES transponder or any other remote transponder in their RVs. I am looking for suggestions or recommendations from your experiences. Right now, I think I have two possibilities. Behind the panel somewhere or behind the luggage bulkhead. Thanks for your help in advance. Happy July 4th!
John Van Lieshout

For best performance put it as close to the transponder antenna as possible so your coaxial cable is the shortest.

:cool:

Mounted my GTX23ES on the bulkhead itself, on the aft side, antenna cable about 2' long, works perfect.

Last edited:
I mounted mine under the baggage floor. I cut a hole big enough to slide the transponder rack into and then bolted it to the bottom side of the cover I created for the new hole with 3/4" spacers so that I can remove the entire unit by removing the screws and pulling up the cover.

If you look at this blog entry you can see the access panels I created.

I mounted mine in the bottom of the stack where a traditional transponder would go. I put a cover plate over it and put my passenger warning placard on the cover plate. Makes it easy to install and remove and doesn't take up much panel space if you consider you need the passenger warning placard anyway. I mounted mine upside down in a -6 slider to get the aft end of the tray away from the center rib.
Chris

23ES location

Mine is also mounted under my GTR200 com, with a cover plate. Easy access and keeps weight FWD. RV7 with o360 and Catto prop. Weight and balance.

William Bennett
RV8A flying for sale
RV7 FWF finishing
Tech Counselor Chapter 187

If you're looking to keep weight forward (because this thing is kind of hefty), take a look at my location. I just mounted it sideways at the bottom of the stack, hidden from view. Works well and can be easily removed from its rack here. Short wire runs except for the antenna wire. I was also able to connect it to one of my avionics fan ducts and although it's not required, it's recommended if possible to extend its life.

Mounted my GTX23ES on the bulkhead itself, on the aft side, antenna cable about 2' long, works perfect.

Walt, do you have a picture of how you mounted the transponder? That is a lot of weight and I am having difficulty picturing how one might mount it. The bulkhead itself seems too flimsy for the weight, so I am thinking you used some stiffeners in the installation. Did you mount it up near the turtle deck, or down near the floor? I am committed to putting my transponder in that location; would appreciate the benefit of your experience.

Rich,
If you can wait till Friday, I will take a picture of how I did mine. I mounted rails the width of the panel on the bottom to hold my transponder and VPX. It was a pain, but very sturdy. PM or email me and when I get home Friday, I will send pictures.

Total weight is about 4 lbs so not really that much. I mounted it down low by the floor, the bulkhead in this area is quite rigid when attached to the structure and bolting the rack to it increases that rigidity. I used large od washers on the forward side of the bulkhead but no other braces. I also installed an electrical disconnect so removing the bulkhead would be a simple matter in the future.

Behind the baggage bulkhead, mounted on the longitudinal piece that runs along the bottom of the skin (don't recall the part number right now)...the one that holds the autopilot servo and the elevator bellcrank. About 6" of coax to the antenna. Works great!

Here is where I put it.

What kind of panel do you have? If you have some big EFIS screens then you could mount the transponder on it's side and parallel to the length of the fuse. that way it will be removable when the EFIS is out. I did not think far enough ahead and could not do this. A slider makes it easier to do this.

I did not like the rear location for W&B - no numbers, just a long standing 7 tendency for rear CG.

It is big and awkward to mount. I laid it sideways and offset to the right for removal. I can get to it easily by sitting on the spar and "feeling"

Here is the top picture. It is on the right side below the two transverse rails. The antenna is just inside the air exit of the cowl just behind the firewall.
IMG_0758.JPG

Just passed the VFR transponder test yesterday! Mounted under the baggage floor. It's not wireless to the antenna, :) but is very close for a short cable run (which came after the photo).

photo01.JPG

Here is where I put mine

I put the transponder on the right side and remote com on the left side. It makes working behind the panel much easier and less cluttered.

7A2E034F-3D07-4694-AF43-B571E5113FFC_zps6esd0gkp.jpg

Radio stack...

I'm in the process of installing a GTX23 ES into my flying RV7. I wanted to mount it as far forward as possible for CG reasons, but I couldn't find a decent place to mount it under the panel that would aid in removal. I chose to order the separate modular rack and mount it in my radio stack behind the GMC autopilot control.
6507592D-5F5E-4BFA-9E34-F15950F8CEFF_zpslmqwsn4y.jpg

606DA83E-602B-4A0C-AAC0-DB31D1B342C5_zps5eghelmp.jpg

It fits behind the GMC autopilot head on top.
A888DCF2-AF53-4C2A-9021-D8E7B6849336_zpssx6tcfxp.jpg

Back