What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X / G3X Touch Installation Class

avionicsr

A few months ago I was approached by Aircraft Electronics Association to develop a G3X / G3X Touch installation course targeted to helping the home builder (as well as other installation facilities) complete safe, reliable and functional G3X Touch Installations. After several conference calls, uncountable emails, a trip to Kansas in the middle of winter, and an unbelievable amount of support from the AEA as well as Steve, Brian, Matt, Tim and all of Team-X, the class is now open for registration.

The class itself is run by the Aircraft Electronics Association (link below, register directly through the AEA) and will cover a large portion of G3X and G3X Touch Installation including a large amount of hands on experience, where attendees will build part of a G3X wiring harness. This course includes a vast amount of information from the Installation manuals as well as real-world information and photographs from installations I and my shop have performed. The knowledge and techniques developed at this class will greatly assist home builders in completing the safe, reliable and functional G3X installation that best suits their needs.

The course covers:

General System Overview
Tools and Techniques
Mechanical Installation
CAN Bus
Electrical Installation
Operational Checkout
Autopilot Configuration

More details are available at the AEA website:
http://www.aea.net/Training/courses/exp/

Hope to see you there!

Last edited:
Seems like it would be a good education. I've considered trying to add a second G3X but figured I start with just trying to install an AP. I wish I had some help like this in NJ!

We are considering doing the class in multiple locations. Input as to locations would be appreciated

Attendee Discount

I've just been told that Garmin has been generous enough to offer a discount available for Course attendees similar to their Seminar Bucks program.

The discounts available for course attendees is as follows:

? All single display G3X system purchases = $200 discount
? All dual display or more G3X system purchases = $400 discount

We've had several enroll in this class, and I'm looking forward to seeing you there!

Sorry about resurrecting a dead thread. Any word on whether this class by you, or a similar class by Stein or others, might be held up at Oshkosh this year? Reading the other thread going on currently about CAN wiring, I'm wondering whether all those node splices, and especially the shield drains, are all done just with solder sleeves typically?

Would like attend this course

Good day all,
I would like to take this course. A northeast locale in the fall would be my preference but really I will take anything available.
John Van Lieshout
RV6A QB 85%
Aerosport Power IO-375 M1S
3 screen G3X with 2 axis 305 AP
Aero Classic interior

Sorry about resurrecting a dead thread. Any word on whether this class by you, or a similar class by Stein or others, might be held up at Oshkosh this year? Reading the other thread going on currently about CAN wiring, I'm wondering whether all those node splices, and especially the shield drains, are all done just with solder sleeves typically?

Solder sleeves are your friend! I love em! Get a good heat gun and they make the job almost effortless! Did I mention I love solder sleeves?

I use em 100% of the time for the shield terminations and also use em for splices if space is not a factor. Hard to get em crammed into a connector shell so many times I just solder and heat shrink the fine wire splices. Just be careful to ensure that the splices don't sit right under the strain relief clamp bar thingy...

Last edited:
Solder sleeves are your friend! I love em! Get a good heat gun and they make the job almost effortless! Did I mention I love solder sleeves?

I use em 100% of the time for the shield terminations and also use em for splices if space is not a factor. Hard to get em crammed into a connector shell so many times I just solder and heat shrink the fine wire splices. Just be careful to ensure that the splices don't sit right under the strain relief clamp bar thingy...

Good heat gun is key. My Wagner stinks at solder sleeves. Next time I add some electronics, I'm buying a new gun.

Good heat gun is key. My Wagner stinks at solder sleeves. Next time I add some electronics, I'm buying a new gun.

I bought this one from Harbor Freight. It works great...

image_21653.jpg

I did make a stainless thing to go on the end of it similar to the one on the end of this gun. That really helps get even heat all the way around the shield.

toolbox11.jpg

Can some one provide a link to detailed wiring diagram with pin outs of the G3X system for each component? Also has anyone done any youtube videos on building a wiring harness?

Back