What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider Side Skirt Brace

Oracles,

Has any one with a 6 slider canopy tried using the skirt braces from a 7/9 slider?

I copied the brace from a 9. Works excellent. Much better than the old method of welding tabs, etc. My canopy is the older round tube type.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Skirt Brace

Thanks Larry, I was thinking of ordering the RV7/9 brace rather than making a similar one. Only difference I perceive is the square tube is slightly larger than the round tube so the angles may not be exactly correct.

Welded tabs? I'm a bit confused. The responses seem to indicate the stock C-791 canopy side skirt brace was omitted in earlier RV-6 finish kits, at least prior to my kit delivered in 2001. Was the C-791 originally designed for use with the RV-7 slider?

10p6hya.jpg

Welded tabs? I'm a bit confused. The responses seem to indicate the stock C-791 canopy side skirt brace was omitted in earlier RV-6 finish kits, at least prior to my kit delivered in 2001. Was the C-791 originally designed for use with the RV-7 slider?

10p6hya.jpg

Mine was 1996. They hadn't invented the skirt brace by then. Builders were using different methods for bracing, with the tabs being a popular option. I'm glad that skirt braces came out by the time I got around to it. My bottom canopy piece is round instead of the newer square ones.

L.Adamson -- RV6A

The sliding canopy skirt brace was introduced when the finish kit received a number of improvements with the introduction of the RV-9(A) in 1999 (I think??).

new skirt braces now standard.

Oracles,

Has any one with a 6 slider canopy tried using the skirt braces from a 7/9 slider?

Hi John,
When did you get your canopy?
I recieved my RV6A finishing kit early 2007. By then, Van's canopy frame was equipped with square tubing for the side skirts. Also the new C-791 canopy skirt brace was included as well. I made a special die to put shoulders on the lightning holes of the skirt brace. This modification stiffened up the brace and hence the side skirt considerably. Send me a PM ([email protected]) if you would like pics.
John Van Lieshout
Toronto, Ontario
Canada, eh!
RV6A QB

Hi John,
When did you get your canopy?
I recieved my RV6A finishing kit early 2007. By then, Van's canopy frame was equipped with square tubing for the side skirts. Also the new C-791 canopy skirt brace was included as well. I made a special die to put shoulders on the lightning holes of the skirt brace. This modification stiffened up the brace and hence the side skirt considerably. Send me a PM ([email protected]) if you would like pics.
John Van Lieshout
Toronto, Ontario
Canada, eh!
RV6A QB

This kit which was shipped Dec '95 (but it is nearly finished).

Sounds like getting the square tube brace will be the answer. Thanks for the information John and others. And good work (to all the Canucks) on the Winter Olympics too.

Back