What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Nose Skin

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
What's the secret to getting the aileron nose skin to bend around the counter weight tube and clecoed to the top skin/spar? The closest I've come is about 1/4" offset of the holes. I tried ratchet straps, but even with those I had to get them so tight that I started worrying about denting the nose skin or messing up something else in the process.

This has made getting the skins fit for the fuel tanks seem like a walk in the park.

How is it done?

Make sure

Make sure the tube is in the right place. The ribs that hold the tube may need the flanges bent more. The curve of the rib should flow smoothly into and around the tube.

1000 have come before you.

Orientation?

Possibly the aileron nose ribs are upside down relative to the aileron rib. I don't recall having any particular difficulty with these.

Possibly the aileron nose ribs are upside down relative to the aileron rib. I don't recall having any particular difficulty with these.

I finally got the skins into place. I triple checked everything, and all parts were correct. I had tried ratchet straps before and didn't have any luck, but I moved the location of the straps to being more towards the outer edges by the ribs and that did the trick. Based on the number of messages I got from people, it sounds like the high skin tension is a very common trouble spot.

Back