What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lowest -6 S/N Building But Not Yet Flying

HFS

Well Known Member
I am currently helping the 4th (or 5th) owner finish S/N 60133. I have known this airplane its entire (ground bound) life, and it will be good to see it finally get airborne - probably in Aug/Sept.

Anyone else out there in the same boat (plane?) with a lower S/N?

HFS

I am currently helping the 4th (or 5th) owner finish S/N 60133. I have known this airplane its entire (ground bound) life, and it will be good to see it finally get airborne - probably in Aug/Sept.

Anyone else out there in the same boat (plane?) with a lower S/N?

HFS

This looks like a quick build sn?? They are different from full kit sn's

Don't know about 6s. But, I have SN 80566 RV-8. Tail kit bought in 1998. I'll finish it some day.

I have RV-6A s/n 20701 - first kit arrived in 1989.

One owner (me...:)..) and it will fly in the next couple of months.

I have RV-6a, kit number 60098, originally purchased in 1999. I am the fourth owner. Most of my build has been spent drilling out rivets, replacing sheet metal and talking to Vans for solutions to correct the previous owners' numerous mistakes. I moved everything from my hangar to my attached double garage at home last summer, so that I can work on it on a daily basis. This felt like a step backward, but is helping me to get a lot done during the winter months, since my hangar is not heated. In retrospect, I would have been much better off working in a garage initially.

Build Status:

1. Empennage is complete, and I have two to choose from.
2. Wings need upper sheet metal panels riveted on, ailerons and flaps fitted.
3. Fuselage needs canopy refitted and installed, windscreen installed; static system plumbed.
4. Cockpit needs instruments and radios selected, panel fabricated and installed, seats selected and purchased.
5. Engine must be disassembled and repaired as needed plus all firewall forward work done.
6. Engine cowlings must be refitted and secured correctly.

My date of completion will be highly dependent on funding available for instruments, radios and engine repair, possibly sometime before 2020.

Big Bear

I was in Big Bear Lake last weekend. If I had known you were there, I'd have stopped by for a visit!

HFS

I am probably going to have RV 4 ser # 538 ready for taxi testing end of Aug, am 2nd owner and been at it part time 8 years oh well Tom

I received my RV6A QB kit in April 2000. Working on it ever since. I can't get to it every day but almost every weekend. I get shaky when I am away from my project for more than a few days. I don't regret my decision to build for a second, especially the QB part. I am seeing a dim light at the end of a very long tunnel. But what a tunnel of challenges, decisions, equipment changes, and some modifications. Along the way, I have acquired some experience, gained a lot of aviation knowledge, and polished all my building skills. Loving it! I get teased by friends about the length of my build but I remind them that when I am done, I may register the youngest RV6A out there but that's still awhile away. Keep building everyone.
John Van Lieshout
RV6A QB 85%complete. 85% left.
AeroSport Power IO-375 M1S
Superior Cold Air Induction
Vetterman Trombone Exhaust
Garmin G3X 3 Screen Suite
Aero Classic interior

Gil------congrats:D

The fall prediction was off - Still at it, but getting closer...:)

Making the DIY upper intersection fairing was the worst bit so far, brushing epoxy on downward facing surfaces lying on your back with a brush dripping the stuff was a mess...:eek:

At least the four parts are no made with finishing well under way.

The Kirker white epoxy primer is looking like a good finish for the fiberglass parts.

One part is ready to go - the transponder/ADSB test is done and signed off. :)

The fall prediction was off - Still at it, but getting closer...:)

Making the DIY upper intersection fairing was the worst bit so far, brushing epoxy on downward facing surfaces lying on your back with a brush dripping the stuff was a mess...:eek:

At least the four parts are no made with finishing well under way.

The Kirker white epoxy primer is looking like a good finish for the fiberglass parts.

One part is ready to go - the transponder/ADSB test is done and signed off. :)

I know how that goes!! Seems like my project is always a year and $5k away from being finished. Rv-6 #24414. My uncle bought the first kit back in '93 or so, when I barely out of diapers....

But I do feel like us very slow builders get to have all the fun!

Last edited:
RV-6A 25088

I always suspected I'm not the slowest builder! I have RV-6A 25088... canopy almost finished.

Oldie... & someday a Goodie

How embarrassing... I have 20645 sitting in the corner gathering dust... again.
I got it as a poorly built example, COMPLETELY disassembled it & basically rebuilt it as a scratch built, very few factory parts in it, got it to the point of attaching the wings, even built up a Dynon panel for it. Than got the brainy idea of building an RV-7A along side of it. Well..., many RV projects later, it still languishes in the corner... but the 6 makes a great parts bin (I can scavenge from) whenever I'm needing something quick for another RV!

24483 completed airframe but not finished - selling

I have -6A 24483 the airframe is completed - even painted. I was working on the panel in 2004 when other obligations caused me to put the project on hold. (I do not have an engine, or mount, or cowling. It is a tip up canopy. The panel full with basic steam gauges, radios, transponder, intercom, etc.

I have come to realize it would be best for someone else to finish this beautiful airplane and get it in the air.

I hope to assemble it to get quality pics of it in a month and will put an ad in the classified section. I am trying to get a feel for the market to see what a reasonable price will be.

Charlie Rosenzweig
Longview, Wa.

Last edited:
I feel that I have a "newer" 6 with a s/n of 24960. Hope to be flying late this year or the first of 2018.

Still a work in progress

Well I have 21777 in my work room. This goes back to the 90's. I'm working on mounting the HS now but that's another story (recent post about stab!)

Paul

I'm fitting the wings to s/n 24633 to fit the tank brackets. I'm the 2nd owner. It should fly this year. Just sent off for my Bill of Sale from Van's so I can transfer the N-number from my 1st RV to it.

What a journey

#24058 just over 20 years and almost ready. In the hanger for the final assembly. Sure has been fun.

Back