What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How long to acknowledge an N-number reservation?

ravenstar

Well Known Member
I'm wondering how long others have had to wait for the FAA to acknowledge an N-number reservation? I put in a request 2 months ago and though they quickly charged my credit card, my number doesn't show as reserved and I haven't heard anything. This seems absurdly long for something that should be a simple database lookup and entry (why is a person even involved?) but, I know, COVID.... Are others experiencing this kind of delay?

My N number reservation took over 2 months even prior to Covid (2018). It finally showed up as reserved in the database after about 10 weeks.

Last I heard number reservations were taking at least 3 months.

On the other hand when you get ready to register the airplane, be sure to let them know that it is an INITIAL registration and they will push it through in a few days.

I sent in a reservation request (not a registration) on 7/10. Got my confirmation (dated 9/26) on 10/4.

I filled out the online form in October and haven't heard anything back. Why they don't just let a handful of lines of code do its thing and get rid of a human middle man is anyone's guess.

I'm wondering how long others have had to wait for the FAA to acknowledge an N-number reservation? I put in a request 2 months ago and though they quickly charged my credit card, my number doesn't show as reserved and I haven't heard anything. This seems absurdly long for something that should be a simple database lookup and entry (why is a person even involved?) but, I know, COVID.... Are others experiencing this kind of delay?
I don't know if N-number reservation is handled in the same pipeline as registration but if you look at the information on this page it says as of today (12/20/21), they are processing requests received 9/14/21.

Registration Request

I sent in a registration request on March 25, 2021. I received the registration dated September 2, 2021. 5 months for the FAA.

It’s been probably six or seven weeks since I put in a reservation request for our motorglider N-Number. Thing is….we really don’t care THAT much about it, and I didn’t ;t realize that when you go to the registration paperwork, you can request a first, second, and third choice at the time of registration. Now, of course, I am sort of in limbo between hearing back on teh request, and sending in a registration. But then again, I am stuck in a cowling/cooling inlet fiberglass do-loop, and its the holidays, so I’m not in a rush….yet…

Paul

Took me a few months for them to tell me my dream n number was already taken before I ordered mine.

Serious lack of technology over there...

I just got confirmation on my N number request - 6 months. I’m not ready for it yet anyway, but if you’re building and have a specific request, maybe sooner is better than later, even if you have to renew it.

FAA aircraft registration appears to be completely broken with new owner registration requests routinely exceeding the 90 day limit requiring an emailed request for an extension. If the same department processes N numbers, 4-6 months sounds about right. I do hope they have a plan to fix this and get back on track.

Alex

it's because they are spending all their time on requests from shortnnumbers.com

getting on my nomex suit.....:D

bob burns
RV-4 n82rb

So reservation expires 12 months from the date of
- submitting the request, or
- when confirmation is received ???

It took a couple of months or more to reserve mine and the expiration date was when it was reserved and not when I requested.

So reservation expires 12 months from the date of
- submitting the request, or
- when confirmation is received ???

My experience was 12 mos. from when it was approved. I renewed for eight years, plus sent in the e- renewal payment just in case the reservation expired before the registration paperwork was processed this year. But back in the day, confirmation was days rather than weeks from the request.

Reasonable time for my Reservation ..but ..

My experience with # N4099 reservation: Searched FAA/REG online found it was available and applied immediately with credit card. Did not see any confirmation on line for a couple weeks and just forgot about it. Letter shows up about 30 days later from FAA: "Confirmation of Reservation N4099 approved" The letter was typed 12/11 and the one year reservation began Nov 10, 2021 Good Experience, On the Other Hand: Bought an RV9A and immediately applied for transfer of ownership and registration. 100 days later I received a "Letter of Extension" and "Authority to Operate Aircraft Pending Registration" extended for another 120 days from date stamped: Dec 07, 2021 (UPDATE) Just checked FAA?REG site and it shows my newly acquired RV9A N137LC registration was issued DEC 15th 2021, (Not received yet, thanks to Postal service)

Last edited:
it's because they are spending all their time on requests from shortnnumbers.com

getting on my nomex suit.....:D

bob burns
RV-4 n82rb

Ha! I contacted numbersforsale.com just for fun because they had one I was looking for. They would sell to me for $800. Um, I said no thanks.

FAA aircraft registration appears to be completely broken with new owner registration requests routinely exceeding the 90 day limit requiring an emailed request for an extension. If the same department processes N numbers, 4-6 months sounds about right. I do hope they have a plan to fix this and get back on track.

Alex

The FAA registry just updated my info as the owner, purchased in Sept 2021. It would have likely taken longer, but after a few emails back and forth it went from "expect another 30 to 60 days" to poof all done, went straight from nothing, past the pending stage and into active. not sure if the email plaid a roll or not. Things are VERY slow at the FAA and there is no way to talk to someone, although emails do seem to get addressed.

I just tried to renew my reserved number and it won't let it be renewed more than 60 days prior to the renewal date. The "purge" date is only 30 days after the renewal date.

I just tried to renew my reserved number and it won't let it be renewed more than 60 days prior to the renewal date. The "purge" date is only 30 days after the renewal date.

Are you sure you're reading the dates correctly? Typically the purge date is 14 months after the renewal date.

Its 13 months

Go to FAA website and look up mine: N4099 it has reserved date and purge date. 13 months from date they accepted reservation.

Are you sure you're reading the dates correctly? Typically the purge date is 14 months after the renewal date.

This is what I get if I try to renew now

Attachments

• 5CC3EF81-EA62-4821-B21E-EEE6BB31F5BB.jpeg
    5CC3EF81-EA62-4821-B21E-EEE6BB31F5BB.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 186
  • F483EB68-AA4D-456A-A639-EDFB32C4E152.jpeg
    F483EB68-AA4D-456A-A639-EDFB32C4E152.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 188
N Number paid for and now taken?

Early November I requested N310DM after going on line. Tried a few others and they came up already in use or something like that. Credit card was charged and I thought all is good for 310DM. Now when I look it up it says or I think it say someone else has reserved it effective last week? Looks like this same person had it in 2011 and let it lapse. I still have not heard anything. Surely this can't be that complicated?

To follow up on my own post, I happened to check the registry today and my reservation was recorded on 2/4/22, 3-1/2 months later.

The FAA must have had a recent pizza party for staff to work on the weekend - my reservation from October was just approved as well.

This thread got my attention and I checked in on mine.. Submitted on 10/7/21, reserved effective 1/27/22.

My actual registration took only 10 days or so--significantly less time than the pre-reservation of the N-number (about 2 months wait or so, before COVID). I had to call them up to request a correction to the registration and it only took 2 days. So they definitely have registrations on a different assembly line than reservations.

My N number reservation took about 3 1/2 months before I had confirmation. I’m ready to send in my aircraft reservation paper work, but waiting on the Bill of Sale from Vans. I bought the kit second hand (from a Vans employee), so maybe there’s a few hoops to jump through.

N number pirep

OK!!! So, due to this thread, I got concerned, Because of an N number I have reserved.
Thinking it might be close to expiring, But, knowing the FAA USUALLY sends a letter saying it's time to renew I wasn't too worried.
Well I figured I better check it out.
OH %&^#^ it has already expired as of 1/24/21
I no longer have that number reserved in their records so I could not renew it.
But, I was lucky today and it was available to reserve. WooHoo! So I re-reserved it.
BAM got it back 15 days after it expired.
So, don't expect any 30-45 day or what ever grace period of your N number reservation.
Keep track of it if you want to keep it.
Heads up Art

Going on 3 months here.

Funny thing is, I renewed my beacon registration and got a letter back from NOAA in a week. :confused:

I just received my letter in the mail after reserving it on 09SEP2021. It says I have the number reserved until 31JAN2023.

Submitted reservation request via email on 11/2/21.
Received confirmation letter on 3/2/22 (dated 2/18/22).

Letter states that reservation is good for 1 year from the 2/18/22 date.
And that "reservation may be renewed each year upon request and payment of the $10 reservation fee." Does not limit renewal to 1 year.

Back