What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffle clearance around ring gear?

Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Fellow builders,

I need some help. I am trying to finish up my baffles and need to make a final decision how to handle the area around the ring gear. Please review the photos attached.
baffle gaps.jpg

I have about a 1/4" gap between the cowl and the baffle and about a 1/4" gap between the baffle and the ring gear. Is this enough or will I baffle rub up against the cowl during startup and shut down? Since the baffles are attached to the engine, I don't believe the baffles will hit the ring gear during engine shake. However if the shake is severe and there is contact between the baffle and cowl, there could be a possibility the baffle could hit the ring gear.

One choice is to trim the baffle back behind the ring gear and install some baffle material and extend it forward (underlapping the cowl). However the rubber material is very flexible and could easily hit the ring gear during engine operation or startup/shutdown shake.

BTW: the nutplates are not directly inline with the ring gear.

Any thoughts/recommendations or personal experiences would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Paul,

I'm working this area myself right now. Here's my take on the baffle instructions. I read them as asking for 1/16th offset between the bottom of the inlet lip and the baffle ramp and 3/32nd offset relative to the sides (inner and outer) of the inlet.

Maybe my baffle kit is later than yours. With mine, the baffle seal along the bottom of the inlet lip is also supposed to extend up both sides of the inlet (i.e. all around the edge of the bottom cowling inlet lip).

Also, my reading is that the ring gear baffle is supposed to be treated the same as the rest of the baffle-to-cowling inlet interface and cut just short of flush with the inboard inlet lip (to leave room for the baffle seal).

I too would appreciate advice from other (in my case from those who have fitted the latest baffle kit).

Thanks in advance,

They are all tight in this area...At first I left my metal hanging out around the gear and it rubbed a little.

I cut em off just behind the ring gear....

Any more input from others?

Gents,

Anyone else have some input or photos they could share?

Thanks,

This is an ancient thread, but someone asked for a picture so I'll post mine. I've got about 1/8" clearance between my starter ring gear and front baffle. There's also a badly planned pop rivet hanging out there too that I'm worried about. Considering cutting the baffle aft of the ring gear so there's no interference. But that would leave a poor seal between the front of the cowl and baffle.

Maybe I'll just cut the metal and leave the rubber seal there to hopefully get a good seal. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Back