What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Door Hidden Hing

wolfrv6

My oil door hidden hinge from justrvparts is great but the little spring thats holds the door open has broken and their web site is gone. I was hoping somebody might have another source for them. Thanks
wolfrv6
Ogden UT

Avery tool has them.

I think JustRVParts changed their company name, and may still be around. But I know that Avery Tool has them.

If you really strike out, I have an extra I'll sell.

Might try this ?

This is just a piece of piano wire with a Z bent on one end and then inserted into a small hole. Then it passes through another that has a small cottor pin with a nylon washer on it it. The other end has sort of a reverse V bent in it so that when you open the door it just snaps into a little notched place.

To close, just push slightly with your finger and it slides under the cowl. Piano wire is very springlike! When you open the door it just snaps into place.

Works nicely.

Bill S
7a finishing

Oil door hidden hinge pin securement.

Hitchhiking on this old thread. Aircraft Spruce has the https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/averyoildoorhinge.php Avery hidden hinge and a replacement spring.
My question relates to this statement from ACS “…When installed and closed the hinge pin is gripped tightly by the force of the spring….“
For those using this hidden hinge, did you depend on the spring to keep the hinge pin from exiting the hinge or did you anchor it some other way? Perhaps like safety wiring a bent pin for the trim tab hinge pin?

SNIP
For those using this hidden hinge, did you depend on the spring to keep the hinge pin from exiting the hinge or did you anchor it some other way? Perhaps like safety wiring a bent pin for the trim tab hinge pin?

One end of the pin has a 90 degree bend. Leave the pin a little long, then after the pin is in the door hinge just put a small bend in it - enough so the pin will not slide out but not so much as you can’t bend it back to take the pin out if needed (like when you go to final paint).

Carl

… or just make the door outta good ol aluminum, leaving it slightly underbent = no need for spring :)

Hitchhiking on this old thread. Aircraft Spruce has the https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/averyoildoorhinge.php Avery hidden hinge and a replacement spring.
My question relates to this statement from ACS “…When installed and closed the hinge pin is gripped tightly by the force of the spring….“
For those using this hidden hinge, did you depend on the spring to keep the hinge pin from exiting the hinge...?

Absolutely not. In fact, I tried that at first, and you guessed it...the pin started to back out (I caught it well before it became an issue).

I just put small collets on each end of the pin (also used on the flap hinge pins). Works like a charm, and easily removable.

Oil door hinge spring

I read in another thread that someone had trouble figuring how to position the spring (me too) in the oil door hinge. Here is a photo how the spring sits on the hinge. This view is from the inside of the cowling.
dateposted-public

Attachments

• 2022-02-23 oil door spring 1.jpg
    2022-02-23 oil door spring 1.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 154
My concern

… or just make the door outta good ol aluminum, leaving it slightly underbent = no need for spring :)

My concern with this is that the oil door will bow out during flying. I think a stiff door and a spring would work better.

I made a retaining clip for the hinge pin, made out of 1/2" of hinge material, held in place by one of the fasteners (see bottom):

Oil Hinge

$3 at Oshkosh in 1992.

Finish kit arrived, retiring next year then full time on the aircraft.

Slow Slow build.

Rob

Back