What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build Order

msstahl

Any reason why I shouldn’t delay the Empenage fit-up on my build until after I’ve installed the aft upper skin and everything that is contained within?

I think it will complicate drilling the holes to mount the VS and the HS at the front. The last bulkhead will be in the way.

Here's whats easier to do with the aft upper skin off the airplane:

Mount the VS and HS

Mount, and set initial rigging for rudder and elevators

run wiring for tail light and pitch trim servo

Fabricate mounts for ELT and any remote mount avionics you plan on installing aft of cockpit.

Install conduit, studs, or cable ties fixtures to secure wire bundle runs in aft fuselage.

Install aft battery location and run cables

install Txpdr and ADS-B antennas

Yeah, you're probably gonna "uninstall" a lot of this stuff to get the aft upper skin riveted on. But, it'll be a lot easier to reinstall it than it will be to do all the locating drilling and fabricating after the upper skin is on.

Appreciate the feedback. I’ve been working on an ADHRS and avionics tray but I’ve seen some builds where they’ve delayed the Empenage attachment such as the new build series just released on YouTube. With that I’ll just use vans sequence and tackle it prior to installing the aft top skin.

Thx for the feedback!

With the quick build, the skin is on, but it's not a big problem to attach the VS or HS. Have a grabber and a little magnet on a stick for the many times you will drop things back there. Or have some small kids. Or be ready to crawl back there - some sheets of plywood, old carpet, and foam rubber can help when you must go back in the tail. Keeping the aircraft horizontal will also make it easier.

Just remember that everything you install will come out. Be sure you can get to those things later.

I'm at the same stage right now. I think trying to mount the horizontal and vertical stabs with the aft skin in place would be extremely difficult. And I don't think the quickbuilds come with the aft skin installed.

Just finished the aft upper skin, and agree with Ken and his list. A lot easier to stand next to the fuse and reach in than it is to crawl back. Is there a reason you want to hold off on the empenage setup?

Great advice on fabricating everything now that's possible to fabricate. I've also heard that crawling around flight controls isn't too bad either.

The main reason I would like to delay mounting the horizontal and vertical stabilizer is so that I only have to level the fuse once. From what I can see the stabilizer's aren't attached until after the aft deck is on so why not fitup after as well. Looks like it went on ok for the "Build Your Own Plane" build.

Drilling would be one concern but with a 90 deg drill I can't see that being of much issue either for the vertical stab.

Back