What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel for 912

Advwall44

I'm New Here
Octane rating for the 912 uls shows 92 or 100LL. Airport near here has 94 ethanol free fuel. Is the higher octane an issue? All other nearby gas stations with Recreational fuel have octanes of 90 or lower. What is the best option so I can get away from 100LL?

Higher octane is no problem. I have been using 93E10 from Costco for most of the 800+TT on my 912ULS. Costco is top tier fuel supplier....

advwall44

Thank you for the info. Looks like I will just continue to get the 94 until other options are available.

I have another thought for you... With low number of posts, perhaps you are new to Rotax 912, and also, you live in Temperance, which makes me think hot climate. With all that said, you need to educate yourself about Vapor Lock when using auto fuels in warm climates. Lots of information in VAF forum. Use search tool....

advwall44

Temperance is in Michigan. Just north of toledo, oh. You were right about the newbie Rotax owner. Really enjoy flying the little RV-12. With only a 100 horses it is incredibly impressive.

Be sure to get your airport listed on Skyvector as offering Mogas. I don't see anything in Michigan on the map. I'd prefer to land at Mogas airports, if i could see on a map where they all were! 94 Ethanol Free is exactly what the Rotax likes to sip.

Last edited:
You are nearby me – NE OH (1OA2). You still need to educate yourself about auto fuel and vapor lock. The Rotax 912ULS has fuel distribution network on top side of engine which gets heat-soaked with tightly cowled engine. Auto fuel suppliers change vapor pressure formulation twice / year. The problem is operating with winter-blend fuel in the late spring when outside temps begin to rise. Changeover to summer-blend fuel is rather late (May/June) and this can cause real problems for aircraft using auto fuel.

See these threads for more info….

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=208059&highlight=vapor+lock

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=194385&highlight=vapor+lock+insulation

Last edited:
Back