What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maintaining Tire Pressure with Wheel Pants

HEB1022

Does anyone have a good inflation chuck/inflation meter that they can recommend and works thru the 1” hole in the wheel pants? I would like to be able to check tire pressure and inflate if needed without removing the fairings.

Thanks in advance.

You can piece one together.

Find a straight air chuck (like this) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GS6GGF2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and fit it to a gauge (like this) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RVHPWK8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 by removing the quick connect coupler that comes attached to the gauge and installing the straight air chuck.

Additionally I picked up one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076XP3DR7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to remove (and reinstall) the valve stem cap through the wheel pant hole.

I carry all these along in a bag with tie down straps and gust locks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 8.50.12 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 8.50.12 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 241
  • Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 8.50.25 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 8.50.25 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 188
Last edited:
I found that I needed a straight single-foot air chuck in order to keep the access holes in the wheel pants small. I use hex-shaped valve stem caps and remove/replace them with a hex socket. The gauge can be anything that allows inflating and checking pressure at the same time, just find one you like and screw on the straight single-foot chuck. I use https://www.amazon.com/WYNNsky-Bayonet-Style-Inflator-Straight/dp/B06VSRNTMK/ref=sr_1_37?keywords=tire+inflator+pressure+gauges&qid=1674223667&sr=8-37and it works fine. Some people like the electronic ones…I have this one at home in the garage and it works fine too.

Why not install Tire Pressure Monitors instead? I've been using TPM on main tires for over a year. Tire pressure can be checked as part of preflight inspection. Works a charm.... :D

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=199694&highlight=tpm

Photos are TPM and stick-on balance weight...
-

I have these on my main tires and they work perfectly.

Did you put one on the nose gear tire ?
I did'nt.
I can't unscrew it and add air without removing the front pant

Max

Last edited:
Wonder if any of the Garmin guru’s can get these to work with a G3X? They work with the Garmin Zumo.

Attachments

• ACAF2CBC-887C-4BB5-BFB6-E4FDC6FDFFFB.jpg
    ACAF2CBC-887C-4BB5-BFB6-E4FDC6FDFFFB.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 129
Would "flow-through" monitors work for us? Like these?

I have a hangar-mate with a Zenith 750 Cruzer so I'm considering this kit, 3 for my -12iS and 3 for his 750 Cruzer. We could keep the monitor unit on the workbench and check both aircraft at the same time!

Too big and bulky. Might be difficult to balance wheel. Get similar unit as my post above and Bluetooth to cell phone app...

Too big and bulky. Might be difficult to balance wheel. Get similar unit as my post above and Bluetooth to cell phone app...

Jim, if I had understand correctly what you have only allows you to check the tire pressure without removing the pants. If you need to add air you still have the same problem as the rest of us?

Correct... I have Michelin AirStop tubes that have very low leakage rate. Very rare if I have to inflate tires during summer season. Michelin AS tubes are incredibly expensive...:eek:

I have the Michelin tubes also. Every 60 days I check pressure and typically add 2psi. I do a visual tire check every time I walk up to the plane. The only reason I can see the remote sensors useful is on a landing checklist. Any leak is going to create a visually flat tire so the wheel pant is coming off regardless. I use the 1” hole and a screw on extension, very quick to add and check. I use witness paint to mark the bottom of the tire when the valve stem is aligned with the 1” hole.

I have these on my main tires and they work perfectly.

Did you put one on the nose gear tire ?
I did'nt.
I can't unscrew it and add air without removing the front pant

Max

Has anyone put a sensor on nose gear?
Can you take it off and add air with removing the wheel pant?

Thanks

Has anyone put a sensor on nose gear?
Can you take it off and add air with removing the wheel pant?

Nose wheel uses same long 90 degree valve stem as used on main wheels. There is not enough clearance to the fork for a TPM. I tried....

I ditched my wheel pants after a couple of years. It was too much hassle to add air. If the tire goes flat the weight goes on to the wheel pants and you have to jack up the plane to fill the tire. They look great, but not really practical.

Cessna did it

I’m surprised that something like the oil filler door hasn’t been done more often like Cessna’s had. Seems easy enough to do.

Attachments

• 62E83D9F-9849-4856-81F0-A0062229F147.jpg
    62E83D9F-9849-4856-81F0-A0062229F147.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 10C012E7-D887-4A2B-90B5-7859CFC3A6ED.jpg
    10C012E7-D887-4A2B-90B5-7859CFC3A6ED.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 115
  • C4B3FAF7-CC97-4448-9D0F-C9F314F42C0B.jpg
    C4B3FAF7-CC97-4448-9D0F-C9F314F42C0B.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 105
Right about here.

Attachments

• 1378E1B6-FAEB-40AA-863E-7045D1A26821.jpg
    1378E1B6-FAEB-40AA-863E-7045D1A26821.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 134
I’m surprised that something like the oil filler door hasn’t been done more often like Cessna’s had. Seems easy enough to do.

Cessna can't even make pilot / passenger ingress doors so they stay shut....

Re ditching wheel pants

I did a trip last year to some remote parts of Australia where facilities are very limited. I removed the main gear pants to make it easier to deal with a flat but left the nose gear in place.

Having seen many reports of pants being worth 3-5 knots, I was expecting a slower trip but there was really no change. Perhaps the nose gear accounts for most of the drag?

Jack

Back