What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV12iS Building Order

CessnaTPA

It's been suggested I build in the following order below. I'm on step 4 about to mount the engine. For those who have finished what would you suggest or do differently?

1- Finish fuselage, emp, wings+ flaperons.
2- spray fuselage interior
3- install systems (not the avionics). Test fuel lines for leaks.
4 - install landing gear + engine
5- cowling
6- wing fit ( drill torque tubes, trim flaperons and 3/16 for the wing root skins and check “play” moving it back and forth.
7- install tailcone (make sure you have all wires, air lines and cables ready first. Also, there’s a service bulletin for a reinforcement bracelet for the bulkheads.
8- aft window
9 - canopy

Unless you’re rather tall, which I’m not, I found fitting the canopy and making the canopy faring was easier before installing the landing gear. With the fuselage on the floor on padded furniture wraps, it was easier to reach over the fuselage to perform all of the layup and sanding required.

Personally

Personally, I will be installing the empennage as late as possible. Getting to the fuel system, avionics, wiring, brake lines,…all that stuff, is MUCH easier without the empennage in the way. I might even run the engine sans tail. But, that’s just me. YMMV

I've been looking at this because I have a rather limited build space at the moment.

Based on my experience assembling the tail so far, it seems like assembly of the tail cone would be best deferred until I have the full space for final integration.

My plan is to prep all the parts, and assemble the sub assemblies, like the rear bulkhead. Until I am ready, I will just have all the large panels wrapped in paper and sitting on a shelf.

I am also looking at building the fuselage before the wing.

Back