What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine mount and castellated nuts

dsm8

Well Known Member
Patron
Engine is hung:

Per KAI I have torqued the bolts to 160-190 in-lbs. At 160 in-lbs check to see if the nut castellation align with hole in bolt. At 160 it appears that the cotter key may not catch completely. There are at least 4 threads showing. My thought was to add an additional AN washer to ensure adequate torque.

Thoughts?

After sitting at 160 for a while to allow the tension to relax, I kept tightening until close to 190 and the hole and slot aligned.

I have quite a few threads showing.

Attachments

• 07094809-4ADE-409D-B71C-51390BE937E4.jpeg
    07094809-4ADE-409D-B71C-51390BE937E4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Engine is hung:

Per KAI I have torqued the bolts to 160-190 in-lbs. At 160 in-lbs check to see if the nut castellation align with hole in bolt. At 160 it appears that the cotter key may not catch completely. There are at least 4 threads showing. My thought was to add an additional AN washer to ensure adequate torque.

Thoughts?

Add the right number of washers (no more than 3) to get the castellations on the nut roughly level with the hole in the bolt. Tighten the nut to 160 inch pounds. See if the cotter will fit. If so, push it through and bend it over. If not, continue tightening the nut (to no more than 190 inch pounds) until things align and you can push a cotter through. If you can't things aligned before 190 inch pounds, change the washer stackup - maybe eliminate a standard washer and replace it with an "L" washer, which is half the thickness.

In any case, your job is to add, subtract, and substitute washers until you can tighten the nut to 160-190 inch pounds and "finish" with the correct hole alignment.

I used the Mongo Method: tighten to 160 and then continue until I get a slot aligned. Almost 11 years and over 1200 hours with no issues.

Back