What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G5 for experimental question

prkaye

Well Known Member
Question about the Garmin G5 for experimental Aircraft. If the pitot/static lines are not connected to the G5 (I already have redundant airpseed and altitude), will the G5 attitude indicator correctly function? I seem to recall that the dynon needs pitot pressure for attitude to work, and am wondering if this is the same for the G5.

Question about the Garmin G5 for experimental Aircraft. If the pitot/static lines are not connected to the G5 (I already have redundant airpseed and altitude), will the G5 attitude indicator correctly function? I seem to recall that the dynon needs pitot pressure for attitude to work, and am wondering if this is the same for the G5.

I have two G5s in my RV-6 going on 6-years. I have pitot/static connected to both. My understanding is that it will work as an attitude gyro without the pitot/static connected. There is an option in the menu to not have pitot/static connected. The Garmin G3X Expert may be able to add more info to my knowledge as I am just a happy user.

Last time I checked with Garmin, the G5 will work just fine without pitot/static, but the attitude indicator does not extend into the space taken by the tapes.

I did on mine

I just installed the EX G5 in my RV-4, but haven't flown it yet, as I'm also doing the long overdue ADSB and some other stuff. I figured best since the install manual says it, and thought the airspeed data may require it. I'm old school, and had all my plumbing in aluminum, so it made me spend all day crafting some new plumbing.

Attachments

• 76WE panel wiring and pitot.jpg
    76WE panel wiring and pitot.jpg
    472.1 KB · Views: 295
I just installed the EX G5 in my RV-4, but haven't flown it yet, as I'm also doing the long overdue ADSB and some other stuff. I figured best since the install manual says it, and thought the airspeed data may require it. I'm old school, and had all my plumbing in aluminum, so it made me spend all day crafting some new plumbing.

That plumbing is a work of art, just beautifully done.

This is important enough that people should either talk to GarminExpert or RTFM. Now, my opinion, which I just said you should ignore, is that long term attitude stability requires either pitot data or gps data, with both Garmin and Dynon devices. Having both provides redundancy against one source failing.

If the pitot/static lines are not connected to the G5 (I already have redundant airpseed and altitude), will the G5 attitude indicator correctly function?

According to my testing it will. This testing was not performed in situ, but on a bench before panel install.
Panel install of my dual G5/batt back-up was done with pitot/static since I ditched all round gages, and standby instruments :)
As far as GPS data is concerned, the G5 has an integral antenna/receiver and that works pretty good.

According to my testing it will. This testing was not performed in situ, but on a bench before panel install.
Panel install of my dual G5/batt back-up was done with pitot/static since I ditched all round gages, and standby instruments :)
As far as GPS data is concerned, the G5 has an integral antenna/receiver and that works pretty good.

5-years ago with I purchased my G5, I did a similar test. I had the G5 connected to a 13.8 volt regulated power supply for a little over 2-weeks. Every time I walked over to the unit and changed attitude, it responded correctly. It was sitting powered up in what would have been level flight attitude.

5-years ago with I purchased my G5, I did a similar test. I had the G5 connected to a 13.8 volt regulated power supply for a little over 2-weeks. Every time I walked over to the unit and changed attitude, it responded correctly. It was sitting powered up in what would have been level flight attitude.

How does sitting on table, undisturbed for weeks, correlate to the real-world conditions of being installed in a flying aircraft?

The G5 in my -7A works just fine and as expected as an ADI without pitot and static lines connected. I also get nav data from either my panel mount GPS or ILS/VOR signal, whichever is selected on my G3X. I back it up with steam gauge airspeed and altimeter as I prefer. My avionics tech said that every altimeter connected to the static system must be certified during my bi-annual IFR transponder/static system check. Certifying 2 altimeters rather than 3, if the G5 is connected, is cheaper. The G5 provides my backup ADI, which is primarily why I bought it. I did find that by unscrewing the plug on the static port enough so that it leaks gives me an altimeter reading on the G5 within 250 feet of both certified altimeters. I don't get any airspeed reading.

Pitot Static Inputs

If GSA 28 autopilot servos are not enabled in the G5, you can opt to turn the airspeed and altitude tapes off in the airdata configuration menu. This essentially hides the airspeed and altitude tapes on the G5. However, you should still plumb your pitot and static lines to the G5 as a backup attitude aiding source. Several inputs to the G5 must fail in order to lose attitude information, by omitting the pitot/static lines from the start, you are putting yourself one step closer to having an issue.

Thanks,

Justin

Back